cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Router needing replacement?

midori
Dabbler

Is my Router needing replacement?

Over the past 7 days I have several issues (in the following sequence). These are not one-off issues but repeating daily or hourly.

a) Loss of broadband for a minute or two. Issue clears itself after about 2 minutes.

b) Loss of broadband. Helpful plusnet message says my Plusnet Router (a graphic message) will be showing an orange hand icon  with a finger sticking up.  But when I check router there the blue bar is lit and there is no orange icon. Issue clears itself as above..

c) phone line stopped working, no dial tone, unable to make or receive calls. However broadband remains working.

After using Plusnet online checker, the reponse is "OOPs  there seems to be an issue please contact 0800 ....".

Weirdly phone dial tone returns. Calls can be made and received.

d)  more repeats of b) above.  Conenct to Router and see the router is attempting to reconnect.

e) try to call Plusnet on phone line but there is noise (crackle) on the line.

f) I am now connected to  Community using a MiFI THREE hotspot so  cannot connect to Router to give you guys system information.

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Is my Router needing replacement?

Hi Midori,

It definitely sounds much more like a line fault than a router issue.

Can I get you to try following the steps here please? https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

if that doesn't help you should be able to find a link to report a line fault.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
midori
Dabbler

Done all of that. Disconnected my wireless handsets and directly connected wired handset into main socket.

Noise is present but calls can be made. Same level of noise as was on my wireless handset. No improvement. Broadband stops and repeating online checker still says  "OOps something seems to have gone wrong ring 080 432 0200"

Calls can be made, but broadband has stopped, orange icon, reboot, Blue light comes up, but broadband is not connected or disconnects within  seconds. Plugged in THREE MifFi to get broadband service and replied herewith.

I noted my Hub version and firmware Plusnet Hub One version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1

I can not find link "to report line fault" whihc you mentioned before

midori
Dabbler

I just phoned PN Support to enquire about line testing. Spoke to [CSA Removed] and he was able to witness noise level increase from virtually nil and rise to deafening level whilst we talked. Line was tested, confirmed an external fault logged, An engineer will be arranged to solve it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, glad to hear that's moved forward.

Feel free to post back here if anything further needs chasing up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
midori
Dabbler

BT engineers came and finished today. After thorough check of indoor installation, fault was confirmed as external. Today external junction wire was discovered half broken, and remade, Line is now clear of noise and BT tests at Plusnet Hub inlet shows download speed 31.53 Mbps. All very good! 

Unfortunatley I only see 3.75 Mbps on the down side of Plusnet Hub.

BT suggest Plusnet could have imposed a throttle on my speed whilst the line was faulty.

What are my options to return to 30 Mbps ?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That is good news that you're back online.

Yes, speeds had lowered automatically as a result of DLM (dynamic line management) doing that as a counter to the disconnections that had been occurring.

Thankfully that appears to have corrected itself since but our systems hadn't quite caught up yet.

I've just updated it manually so you should see some improvement now.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
midori
Dabbler

Thanks Adam. 

Using Ookla I now get fractionally lower. 20ms ping, 3.60 Mbps down and 5.36 up.

I am ok to wait a couple of days if that will get speed back to normal.

midori
Dabbler

MY_SpeedTest.jpg