cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to tweek my Thomson TG585v7?

paulo
Grafter

Is it possible to tweek my Thomson TG585v7?

I have quite a long line to my exchange and the attenuation shows to be about 63db and a noise margin of about 10.5.  My speed is very slow at 460kb/s down 370 kb/s up at best.
I have done endless checks myself and with Plusnet support guys and everything is in order.  As this is a very rural connection I am convinced the copper pairs are old and have numerous (bad) joints.  BT are not prepared to investige further than they have to and have even said they will suspend my BB service altogether if I keep complaining.
Is it possible to tweek the Noise Margin with my Thomson TG585v7 router to increase my speed?  I realise this may make my service a bit more unreliable (more errors) but a speed increase might be worth it.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
I can resist everything except temptation.
17 REPLIES 17
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Is it possible to tweek my Thomson TG585v7?

Hi there, no I don't think it is possible. Some routers will allow you to use a tool called DMT to tweak your SNR but if memory serves me correctly O2/Be asked Thomson to make some changes to the device so that this was no longer possible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

julesandtash
Grafter

You could try a different router.
I was using a Netgear DG834GT on a line showing 60dB attenuation and a targetr SNR of 9dB. That got a sync of over 2000 with a little tweaking ofthe SNR. To make permanent changes you can flash it with the DGTeam firmware.
Also the BT Business Hub (Two wire 2700HGV) is supposed to be good on long rural lines - I have just bought one on eBay.
I did try the plusnet supplied Thomson TG585 v7 and  it gave the worse speeds of any of the routers I have tried on my line.
Currently the best is my Belkin F5D7632 but I am hoping the hub will be better.
Interestingly the Belking reported 56dB for my lines whereas the Netgear said 60dB. My suggestion would be buy a couple of secondhand routers on eBay and try them. You can always put them back up for sale if they dont improve things.
scootie
Grafter

Interestingly the Belking reported 56dB for my lines whereas the Netgear said 60dB. My suggestion would be buy a couple of secondhand routers on eBay and try them. You can always put them back up for sale if they dont improve things.

yes my dg834 v4 reports around 4db higher attention than the thomson 585 v7.
as said above, the unoffical DGteam firmware for the netgears saves the noise margin tweak so it lasts a reboot / resync
paulo
Grafter

Glad this thread is moving again.
Thanks 'juesandtash' and 'ASBO DOG' for some interesting leads.  Like to hear how you get on with the BT Business hub compared to your other routers.
My TG585v7 shows my attenuation to be 63.5dB which is, apparently the highest attenuation it is capable of reading so my actiual attenuation could be worse than that!!
Can anyone poit me to the DGteam firmware mentioned?
scootie
Grafter

can only be used on netgears am affarid. http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
paulo
Grafter

Thats OK I have a Netgear DG834GT I can try out.
julesandtash
Grafter

I got the firmware from here ..... http://dgteam.ilbello.com/index.php?pid=5
You just need to select a mirror then download it. Then extract the image and flash it to the router.
It has all the functionality of the Netgear firmware but added features. The one that will most likely interest you is the advanced ADSL features. Here you can set the desired target SNR as a percentage of your current target SNR.
You can increase it for better stability or decrease for increased speed at the cost of stabilitty. I managed to get a sync over 3000 by setting the target SNR figure to 40% but unfortunately due to night time noise, the router would drop connection overnight.
Well worth a go.
I'm hoping the busniness hub arrives tomorrow so I can play with that. I must say that I am actually quite impressed with the cheapo Belkin. It has been synced at 2624 now for 2.5 days including right through the nights. I did check the SNR this morning at 04:00Hrs (it was a long day at work and had just got home so I thought I'd check it). It was reading 3dB but was still hanging on fine and throughput was good.
That may be another one worth trying on your line, it certainly shows lower attenuation than the others and syncs at a good speed even with my default 9dB target SNR. Mine being the F5D7632-4 v4001uk does not have any SNR tweak available.
Jules
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The 'current' Belkin F5D77632-4 appears to be V7000uk so that may or may not give the same kind of preformance as the V4001uk mentioned.
I have the V7000uk and it seems to work quite well on a fairly long line (though I have been experiencing some connection issues that I do not think are due to the router).
Anyone looking to try this model may be interested in the special offer in Tesco (£29.95) right now, It's certainly godd value at that price.  I find the wireless range and reliability good (this model is 'g' wireless) but the default 'auto' channel setting can lead to disconnections on the wireless side - just change it to a fixed channel for reliable wireless.  For those that like 'tweaking' this model offers nothing, mine also does not record any errors (on adsl2+ connection) - I cannot beleive that I have no errors at all.  Security options are fairly comprehensive including WPA2.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
paulo
Grafter

Thanks for the link Jules will follow it up but meanwhile I've put the Netgear back on so will let it settle in for a few days so that I can monitor its performance before I try tweeking it.

Love to hear how you get on with the BT one once you've tried it out.
Thanks for the Belkin at Tescos tip Walker23, sounds good value particularly if anyone wants to keep one for standby.  Dont think I'll go for it myself as I already have Netgear, Cable & Wireless and Thomson and may go for the BT if Jules get good results.
Paul.
julesandtash
Grafter

Now I'm happy  Smiley
The BT Business Hub arrived today complete with SingTel firmware already flashed for me. I plugged it in and once all the lights settled down I logged in to see a sync of 3008kbps with a SNR of 9dB. Attenuation showing at 58.2dB.
That was at around 3pm or so when it was still light.
Its now dark so I've checked my stats. Still 3008kbps with a SNR now down at 6db.
It looks like I'm going to be getting a 2500 profile soon  Smiley Smiley
I will update once I've seen how stable it is overnight and how many errors but at the moment all looks good.
Jules
julesandtash
Grafter

Well the business hub maintained sync all night at 3008kbps  Smiley I left router stats running all night on the laptop and in the early hours of the morning the SNR ranged between 3 and 4db. By 5am it was back up to 5db and then by 7:30am it was back up to 9db again.
There were a fair few errors recorded during the low SNR periods but it held onto sync OK which means I should soon be getting a 2500 profile after another couple of days.
I rebooted it today just to check that yesterdays sync was not a fluke and it actually found another 64Kbps from somewhere - now synced  3072kbps at 9db  Smiley
I would definitely recommend getting one if you have a long noisy line (which I guess is what 2-wire designed them for).
Jules
paulo
Grafter

Sounds good I shall definately get one as they might help on my long line.  Looking through the ads I see one as "unlocked".  Any idea if this mean that a new 'unopened' hub may be locked to BT only?
Paul
julesandtash
Grafter

I think that the latest ones are locked to BT. Mine was sold as unlocked and had the SingTel firmware on it when it arrived. If you do a bit of googling you should find plenty of info on them.
paulo
Grafter

Jules,  How is the BT 2700hgv performing now that you've had it up and running for over a week?