cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it my router or a PN/BT issue?

MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Is it my router or a PN/BT issue?

I got plusnet and my new router at the same time so im at a loss as to whats actually the cause.
Basically since getting my Netgear DGN2000 I've found I consistently connect at around 6000+kbps however within 24 hours usually this will drop to 5200 or less kbps however there's nothing in the routers logs to suggest a loss of sync and Plusnets own systems don't seem to see this happen either.
I've mentioned it briefly to a Plusnet support guy in the past on an unrelated issue and he said this sounds like a setting on the router that should be set however I've had little to no help from Netgear support on this problem who have told me to change my MTU to 1430 and try different filters.
Can anyone here have a guess at what they think might be going on?
Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is it my router or a PN/BT issue?

If you are on ADSL2+ then it is just possible that the router is using SRA "Seamless Rate Adaptation" although I wasn't aware of that being enabled
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Nope just 8mbps adsl
dick:quote
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Anyone? I suppose I shouldnt post things so late a night  Grin
NB my router was synced at 6100kbps last night, 5200kbps this morning, nothing in the logs etc.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is Router Operation etc. ticked in Include in the log
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MakeTeaNotWar,
There have been a few changes to the ip profile which may have caused the sync change, I have just lifted ours to match the BT one at 4500.
Your connection logs are below, I don't know if you can see any drops there that you've not noticed.

Jojo Smiley
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Thanks Jojo!
Hmm a lot of those disconnections will have been me swapping filters about to see if I couldnt stop the sync rate from changing. However I note that my last disconnection at around 6pm Monday which ties in with a router reboot after which I synced at 6100kbps (Im not sure if you have any record of that?) but this morning it was down to 5200kbps, again my router didn't log anything to suggest I resynced or disconnected and neither did your system!
This is so strange and is quite a bit drop that would potentially see me get another 1000kbps on my ip profile  Cry
@ Oldjim
Yes everythings ticked in the log area it just never picks anything up.
I am tempted to try the DGTeam custom firmwares, they appear to offer a lot more features, bug fixes and perhaps more importantly newer ADSL drivers.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MakeTeaNotWar,
I think it may have been the ip profile change which caused the change in sync rate. Unfortunately we don't have any historical data of your sync rate apart from what the DLM reports with the highest one being 5696
Jojo Smiley
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

5600? But i was synced at over 6100 all evening last night  Undecided
I'll try the new firmware, maybe at very least it'll have some better logging so I can see whats causing these sync anomalies