cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Possible for Power Line Adapters to cause issues?

FIXED
alexbear
Dabbler

Is it Possible for Power Line Adapters to cause issues?

I have been having some problems with my router that are quite hard to explain. Sometimes I will disconnect, or be connected but at such a slow rate that it is unusable. This is what my router page usually looks like when it is working normally. 

However, when it slows down or I disconnect, the settings page for the router then inexplicably looks like this 

It then seems to intermittently swap between these every couple of minutes for a few seconds, but predominantly doesn't work. In case it might help I managed to pull the recorded events from a period that it was being dodgy, between about 16:54 and 16:58, shown in the attached PDF.

I am connected using a direct ethernet connection to my router, but I also have a powerline adapter plugged into it that I occasionally use for other devices, when I removed the adapter's ethernet cable, the problems seemed to have gone away?

2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Is it Possible for Power Line Adapters to cause issues?

Fix

Yes. You appear to be connecting with someone else's router, who must also be using power line adapters in a nearby building. It should be possible to enable encryption on your power line adapters to prevent them merging your network with the other person's network.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Is it Possible for Power Line Adapters to cause issues?

@alexbear

You may want to edit those 2 pictures to remove the Plusnet username and WAN IP addresses. This is a public forum Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT