cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Plusnet Down Again?

TORPC
Grafter

Re: Is Plusnet Down Again?

How is Copying & pasting the same bad advice, going to give us, the current state of play ?Huh
@Jonell77
WOW that is the Longest I have seen the call wait times, in a while tbh 1.5 HOURS (come on PN you can do better than this)
Yet more proof that PN are giving BAD advice (Absolutely appalling PN)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Jonell77, welcome to the forum, sorry you still have a problem. Try logging into the modem/router and in the Internet Box click Disconnect if it is showing Connected. Wait 10 minutes before trying click Connect again.
see http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/manual-reconnect/ for guidance especially make sure you have your broadband username and password entered correctly.
Jonell77

Thank you for your help, but the Internet box is showing the link status as 'disconnected' already?
Is there anything else i can do?
Anotherone
Champion

How long has it been like that? If more than say 15 minutes and your broadband username and password are entered correctly, then click Connect and see if you can get connected. Otherwise we can try getting technical with Telnet, which can be hairy if you don't have some technical knowledge.
JessBooth
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Sorry to those of you affected by the outage last night.  Our network engineers are still working on restoring service to those customers affected, however we are confident that only a small portion are still unable to get online.
I understand this outage is frustrating, especially so soon after the previous outage.  You have my assurances we are conducting a full investigation into the root cause of the issue.  As soon as I have further information and a explanation around yesterdays disconnection I will arrange for you to be informed.  
@anotherone – I’m sorry you felt the service status was updated with bad advice.  However, this is how we have been getting our affected customers successfully back online throughout yesterday evening and today. As  I’m sure you are aware, our service status covers all of our brands which means we must keep these somewhat generic.
For those of you still unable to get online, please follow the guide here http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/router-reconnect/ - after following this you are still experiencing issues connecting - please let us know and we will investigate on an individual basis.
Thanks,
Jess
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

ptw-ag04 was initially hit with a significant loss of users. We can tell it probably wasn't a reporting issue as it didn't go to zero which is what happens when the graphing is missing figures for a gateway.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jonell77

It has been like this since 6pm last night. My details are correct, and i have tried numerous times to reconnect the router. Sometimes the 'Internet' light on my router is red, but most of the time there is no light on it.
I have no technical knowledge, so I'm amazed i worked out how to do the  'setup my technicolour gateway '.
But I'm quite average when it comes to IT knowledge, so i guess in feeling quite disillusioned that i should  have to do this, and that noone at  Plusnet can take my call or call me to help...
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: jelv
ptw-ag04 was initially hit with a significant loss of users. We can tell it probably wasn't a reporting issue as it didn't go to zero which is what happens when the graphing is missing figures for a gateway.

That almost certainly didn't happen, because the users wouldn't suddenly all re-appear on the same gateway shortly afterwards. The vertical drops that are followed by vertical jumps back up are not going to reflect what is actually happening, those are the graphing glitches.
Anotherone
Champion

@Jonell77
I agree as I've said may times in this thread, no-one should have to manually go through any reconfiguration/reset procedure just because of a service outage. A reboot should be the worst scenario.
I'm sorry that's not working for you, I suspect an issue with a stale session that's not dying. If you don't know about or how to Telnet, the best I can suggest is get on the phone to Plusnet so that they can try killing any stale sessions, but in the mean time click Disconnect and then power down and leave it off for at least 30 minutes before trying again. If you are successful before you get through on the phone you can always hang up.
Jonell77

@anotherone  thank you for your help. I left it disconnected for 2 hours earlier =no change 
It's so frustrating not being able to get through to plusnet. Nearly 24 hours with no Internet just isn't good enough plusnet. . .
Anotherone
Champion

@ejs @jelv
I don't think we can draw any definitive conclusions about ptw-ag04. The figures at the time suggested it dropped a load of users and as they would have all been trying to reconnect at the same time plus those from the bng gateway, why wouldn't one see a step up on the graph?
It could be a graphing glitch but we'll have to wait for an explanation.
@Jonell77
OK, well get on the phone. If you feel competent to have ago Telnetting ask away. You'd need to say what OS you are using.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: JessBooth

For those of you still unable to get online, please follow the guide here http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/router-reconnect/ -

The thing that surprised me about this episode was that my router seemed to forget the password setting. There appears to be a remote configuration capability. This might be great when it works, or if it fails whilst I'm at home. But if it had failed whilst i was away others of the household would have been challenged even with telephone support.
Is there a way to disable the remote feature of the PN supplied router [if thats what it is] and take full local control?
Jonell77

@MrToast that seems to be the same solution Plusnet are pushing, but it's not working here
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@MrToast
You can disable auto set up (TR69) here https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php
You may be asked to login to the member centre first.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@jelv @Anotherone
Here is another saved users online graph with a few step changes that don't go down to zero and are almost certainly nothing more than data reporting glitches. Perhaps only some of the users on that particular gateway were counted e.g. only the ones on a particular endpoint to BTWholesale but not the other endpoints. Note the difference between the step changes around 00:00 and 08:00 compared to what might have been BTWholesale maintenance at 03:00.
Edit: and another graph which shows much the same style of glitches.