cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PN slowing things down in the evenings ?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Is PN slowing things down in the evenings ?

Hi all
In the last couple of days I've noticed the likes of YouTube (and other sites) really slowing down. Is there a reason for this ? and connection is absolutely fine btw.
Thanks in advance.
32 REPLIES 32
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Re: Is PN slowing things down in the evenings ?

Im glad im not the only one that's noticed things being slowed down in the evening along with high latency .
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I ain't seeing anything like that, maybe a local issue? How congested is your exchange, are you on adsl/2/fibre and what package?
I am on unlimited fibre @ just downloading @7.5-8MB/s from usenet. (as a test) (that's MBs not Mbs btw)
Cagney1994
Rising Star

I'm also on the Unlimited package but non-fibre. I'm connected at :
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.171 / 21.475

EDIT : I've just had another 'go' at YouTube and everything seems ok now. Not sure what caused the slowdown to be honest. I'll keep another eye out in the next couple of days.
bartstope
Grafter

For what its worth, I'm noticing very poor YouTube performance. Everything else is fine, I can only assume now the nights are drawing in more people are hammering their broadband and perhaps a slightly more aggressive shaping profile is being applied to traffic heavy sites? As i said, general browsing seems as responsive as normal.... ?
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Well, it's nearly 6.45 am and everything is normal. I'm going to check later in the afternoon and then again in the evening. At least I can rule out any hardware issues (i.e. filters, wiring etc..).
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Now just after 1.00 pm and everything still ok...
am77
Grafter

YouTube was stopping through videos from about 20:00 last night, seemed to be okay again at / after 01:00.  When it kept freezing I tried a gateway hop, which didn't seem to help and also did a couple of speedtests to check the connection.  Connection speed was as expected (i.e full speed) and changing gateway didn't help..
YouTube has been constantly changing things, such as the comments section, the way you select the quality of stream, etc..  As my general Plusnet connection experience gaming, browsing other sites was normal and only YouTube seemingly affected I'd be putting the blame at their doors or their transit carriers.
I'll see how things are tonight..  Smiley
bobboulby
Grafter

Interesting, my son was complaining about YouTube last night. There were no other problems that I was aware of.
Bob
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hmm that's a few complaints about YouTube I've seen over the last day or so. Taking a look into it
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Strangely our graphing is showing an increase in the time it takes to handshake with YouTube, this is showing issues from around Midday to around Midnight. We're raising a problem internally to investigate.

For our reference 77304
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
brizzlechris
Dabbler

Just adding my name to the list, no other obvious issues aside from Youtube.
am77
Grafter

Thanks for investigating Chris  Wink
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Yes, cheers Chris.
And at this moment in time (approx 8.00 pm), everything's still ok.... (finger's crossed).
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Any other feedback? (we're investigating, but haven't changed anything)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager