Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is JUNOS regularly bounced / taken out of service

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Is JUNOS regularly bounced / taken out of service

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that I regularly connect to a gateway identified as JUNOS - all works well, however sometime between 21:30 and 21:45 the PPP session is usually dropped and I end up on a different gateway and am unsuccessful in hopping back to JUNOS.
Come the morning, a single gateway bounce usually gets me reconnected to JUNOS.  As per PMs to a number of the DCT I think I know what this is related to, but would like to confirm that the behaviour is intentional.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Is JUNOS regularly bounced / taken out of service

I think someone mentioned that one or more of the new BNG gateways identify themselves as JUNOS (presumably just a default, short for Juniper OS) in the PPP log; you can still identify the gateway from its IP address.
I suggest concentrating on the PPP session dropping and ignoring the gateway selection distractions. I've been on ptn-bng01 since 16:16 on 21 June.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ejs
I think someone mentioned that one or more of the new BNG gateways identify themselves as JUNOS

Correct, all of the new BNGs (4 live currently) identify themselves with JUNOS in the CHAP response.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hopped gateways at 06:45 and immediately got a JUNOS labelled gate way.  Looks like these services are taken down over night.  I wonders why?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect what you are seeing is the session limitation in our user balancing tool hitting the max allocated to the BNGs.  Unlike the AG devices the new BNGs have a hard cap on them so if you drop off during peak times you are unlikely to get back on until people churn away post midnight.  I wouldn't say the BNG is the cause of your PPP drops but the behaviour you are seeing is just a time of day coincidence with the BNGs.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Paul,
Thank you for the response.  Is there anyway of determining the cause of the PPP drop please?  I will keep monitoring session drop events.  Prior to watching for (and forcing) a JUNOS connection I have not had PPP session instability as is happening at present.
Kevin

paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Townman
Is there anyway of determining the cause of the PPP drop please?

I think that will be best picked up by the DCT as I don't have access to the various tools to look into line faults etc...