cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipod Transfer

valart
Grafter

Ipod Transfer

My grandson as got a new computer for his birthday he needs to put all of his music and videos on his new computer can any body help with this problem.
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Ipod Transfer

He can either copy them across the network between the 2 computers and use the file iTunes Music Library.xml to rebuild his library on the new computer, or he can use something like sharepod http://www.getsharepod.com/ (free) and extract the songs from his iPod onto his new computer.
HTH
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: adiewoo
copy them across the network between the 2 computers and use the file iTunes Music Library.xml to rebuild his library on the new computer,

That's interesting and could help someone I know whose PC has an irretrievably corrupt Windows install but has copied his iTunes music folders to another PC.
Where would there be more details on this process?
dvorak

I don't know if there are any details out there, it's usually found in My Documents\My Music\iTunes and can be reasonably large, mines about 25MB
If you open it up it will contain a list all the tracks and where they reside, so if you want to copy your tracks somewhere else you can change the location in here and next time iTunes opens up it will read this file and rebuild the library.
Also if you move to a computer you can copy all your music and this file and when you open iTunes it will read the file and rebuild it.
One thing to note is that it doesn't contain any play lists.
Example of contents:
<dict>
<key>1110</key>
<dict>
<key>Track ID</key><integer>1110</integer>
<key>Name</key><string>Devil In Me</string>
<key>Artist</key><string>22-20s</string>
<key>Album</key><string>22-20s</string>
<key>Genre</key><string>Blues</string>
<key>Kind</key><string>AAC audio file</string>
<key>Size</key><integer>4163840</integer>
<key>Total Time</key><integer>256857</integer>
<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Track Number</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Track Count</key><integer>10</integer>
<key>Year</key><integer>2004</integer>
<key>Date Modified</key><date>2004-12-24T22:14:20Z</date>
<key>Date Added</key><date>2006-08-30T12:55:18Z</date>
<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>128</integer>
<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
<key>Play Count</key><integer>5</integer>
<key>Play Date</key><integer>3248262304</integer>
<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2006-12-06T15:05:04Z</date>
<key>Rating</key><integer>80</integer>
<key>Persistent ID</key><string>4156E0C6BF069E25</string>
<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Z:/music/22-20s/22-20s/01%20Devil%20In%20Me.m4a</string>
<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer>
<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
</dict>
Customer / Moderator
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ah, I think I understand. Roll_eyes
Basically, install iTunes then replace that file (with effectively nothing in it) with the complete copied one (and of course copy the music folders & data too) and you're away..............
dvorak

So much more succinctly put.  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Just copy the music from the iPod back into iTunes (assuming he has an iPod of course). It's easy when you know how Wink

• Install iTunes on the new PC, open it, access the preferences and choose where you want your music library to be. At this stage it's also worth checking the option to 'Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library'.
  • Open the Control Panel and go to 'Tools' > 'Folder Options' and select the 'View' tab.
  • Enable the option to 'Show hidden files and folders', click 'Apply to all folders', then click 'OK'.
  • Close iTunes and plug the iPod in.
  • Navigate to the contents of the iPod via 'My Computer'.
  • You should see a hidden folder called 'iPod_Control', open it and you'll see a 'Music' folder.
  • Copy the 'Music' folder across to a location on your hard drive.
  • Once it's been copied across right-click the folder and go to 'Properties'.
  • Under 'Attributes' you'll see that the folder is hidden, clear the check box next to both 'Read-only' and 'Hidden' and click 'OK'
  • Open iTunes again.
  • Click 'File', 'Add folder to library' and then navigate to the 'Music' folder on your hard drive and click 'OK'.
  • Your music should start importing across to iTunes with all the ID3 tags (track names etc.) intact.
  • Try playing a few tracks in iTunes. If everything's working then you should just be able to plug your iPod in and resync it. It might delete everything but should then re-add all the tracks you've imported (which should be the same as what was on the iPod in the first place).
  • Because you selected the option to 'Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library', you can now delete the 'Music' folder you copied across to your hard drive earlier.

I've written most of that off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure I've covered all the steps required as I've had to do this umpteen times myself.
Hope it helps.
Edit: This won't restore any videos that are on the iPod but I'd imagine the process is similar.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵