cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ip profile is it stuck???

patbish22

Ip profile is it stuck???

Hi ive just switched from sky to plusnet and ive done a speed test on the bt speed checker tool and it says the max download speed is 2mb, but when i put my phone line number in the speed estimate I get a quoted 3.5-7 MB download, so my question is could my ip profile be stuck on 2mb's ???? here are my router stats:

Connection Speed 1843 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.5 db 30.3 db
Noise Margin 6.6 db 17.4 db
17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Ip profile is it stuck???

Welcome to Plusnet and the forum patbish22.
Are you still in the 10 day training period?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
patbish22

yes I am so im hoping that plusnet will detect the problem over the next week and clear, but me being me I rasied a ticket for good measure  Smiley but I am praying that the ip is stuck because 1.5mb is not good enough as me and my house mate do online gaming but as there is not enough bandwidth to run a ps3 and xbox at the same time  Sad
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In that case, while the exchange and your router are negotiating the optimum sync speed make sure you leave the router powered up and connected and hope for better times Smiley
With a downstream attenuation of 49db you should be able to sync at around 5000kbs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
patbish22

I hope so too Smiley thanks for replying to my thread vary informative.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi patbish22,
There's nothing restricting your connection at the moment but your sync rate is quite low. Have a look here for some tips. If you're not in the test socket, then if you can plug it in there let me know and I can run another check.
Jojo Smiley
patbish22

Hi Jo, sorry I've only just read this but I put my line in the test socket yesterday and noticed the speed jumped up 0.3 mb download, So I take it that suggests the problem will be at my end. But as I only use the master socket I'm just going to leave it as it is  Smiley so when you get the time another line check would be much appreciated. Out of interest I clicked your link and tried the availability checker and this is what it came up with:
"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 9Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 9Mbps."
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
It's not a great deal better. Can you confirm that you left it in the test socket behind the faceplace and not in the front of the faceplate? If you're in the test socket, could you try a different filter. Would you be able to get your hands on another router to try?
Jojo Smiley
patbish22

Hello, yes I unscrewed the faceplate and plugged the line into the test socket on the right. I've changed the filter and as I moved from sky I opted to buy my own router which is a netgear  wireless n300, so I don't have a spare as a result of not being able to flash the d-link I got from sky. Is there anything else I could try??? Thanks Jo  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi patbish22,
A customer here recently found his new router to have been faulty, so that's not out of the question. aside from that, all I can do is advise to raise a fault, which you have to wait for because of the 10-day training period. Have you tried changing the cable between the router and the filter? (long shot I know, but it has been known)
Jojo Smiley
patbish22

ok now the sync speed has gone up but when I try a speed test im now only getting 0.5 mbps down Huh  can anyone help me thank you  Cheesy here are my stats:
Port  Status  TxPkts  RxPkts  Collisions  Tx B/s  Rx B/s  Up Time 
WAN  pppoa  13573  12260  0  2343  7347  00:28:07 
LAN1  Link Down  2826  0  0  171  0  -- 
LAN2  Link Down  -- 
LAN3  Link Down  -- 
LAN4  10M/100M  00:43:02 
WLAN 300M 33340 36518 0 14140 6339 00:28:23

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3328 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.5 db 30.3 db
Noise Margin 5.1 db 21.3 db

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi patbish22,
Is it wired or wireless? Have a look here for some tips.
I'm afraid there's not much else I can do until the 10 days is up as it won't even let me run diagnostics in the training period.
Jojo Smiley
patbish22

Hi all,
Ive checked my plusnet profile and its set to 1.5meg download, could i have my profile bumped up please  Cry Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi patbish22,
Your line is currently banded between 1152Kbps - 2272Kbps. This is because there is a lot of errors occurring. Have you left it in the test socket? Have you tried different filters etc. If so, then I would say raising a fault would be your best option. I've changed your profile to 2000 but there's no point in me trying to remove the banding until you get to the bottom of why the line has the errors on.
Jojo Smiley
patbish22

Hi Jo,   Yes Ive left it in the test socket as there is no need to change it back and ive tried different filters, So as I dont have another router I dont think I can do much else.
What ive done is left a comment on the ticket I have and at present I'm waiting for a response from the Plusnet team, but thanks for the effort your putting into my problem  Smiley