cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intruder Alarm and FTTC

tb257

Intruder Alarm and FTTC

My fibre broadband is going to be installed tormorrow.  The house is fitted with a monitored intruder alarm, which is connected to an extension socket via a filter (NO Redcare). The system has been working well with ADSL2+ on the line.  It connects daily (for a minute or so) to the Alarm Receiving Centre (and in the event of activation). So, here is my obvious question:
Is the intruder alarm system compatible with fibre broadband, or will they interfere with each other?
9 REPLIES 9
Bacardii
Dabbler

Re: Intruder Alarm and FTTC

Yes I assume your alarm is using a digi for a connection? I can not see any reason why your alarm would stop working.
tb257

Yes, it's using a digicom. Would be ok for the alarm system's filter to stay in place?
picbits
Rising Star

It should be fine with or without the filter.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Providing the engineer connects it up again when he replaces the faceplate - better make sure he does by checking with a phone
chrisgould23
Grafter

I work in the alarm industry and it really depends which make/ model of communicator you have. Some will work without a filter some won't. Some have even caused disconnections when they signal. Rule of thumb says always fit a good filter. Solwise make a good one that has a filtered socket built into the front and we find these work very well with both ADSL and FTTC.
Hope this helps
Chris
NedLudd
Grafter

I have fibre and an alarm system connected to the phone network.
No filter is necessary as the new kit O.R. will install has inbuilt filters. Just connect your alarm direct to the phone network.
Geoff,
York.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - the VDSL faceplate filters at the master socket so no other extensions need a filter.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

^^ Just as long as the alarm telephone extension is correctly connected via the master socket.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

In my experience only very old linked alarm systems tend to cause issues with ADSL. 10 plus years ago working for another ISP I clearly remember Redcare and other such systems rendering ADSL pretty much incompatible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team