cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet unusable in the evenings

LoremIpsum

Internet unusable in the evenings

Yesterday evening was typical: Router reports connected at 5Mb (for us that's good!).
But even simple web pages take forever to load. BBC IPlayer? Forget it.
Presumably this is due to contention ratio. Who's fault is this? Plusnet or BT? We are out in the sticks with 20CN here with no likelihood of an upgrade in my lifetime.
Another problem I have that every so often the ADSL connection continually drops. The router keeps trying to re-connect and usually it eventually succeeds but often gives up and has to be rebooted. Seems to work OK for a few weeks then goes through a week or so of continually dropping. As I run a couple of small servers this is just not good enough.
Getting really fed up with this sub-standard service. Actually it seems to be getting steadily worse over the last 2-3 years.
I'm on the expensive Business Broadband Option 2. So despite the complexity (I have a fixed IP, domain and webspace) I think it's time to move.
I was even thinking of moving to a totally different delivery method - satellite? Wi-max? Anyone got any ideas?
It just amazes me that just 50 miles from London in what they call an advanced country it is so difficult to get a decent internet connection!
Sorry. Moan over.
5 REPLIES 5
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Internet unusable in the evenings

Have you raised a fault with us?  Your line does look to be dropping a lot!
Also, it's worth doing a bt speed test and letting us know what your BT profile is set to because we've got your profile at  7150, but based on the drops I'm seeing I'd be surprised if the DLM had kept you that high.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just been running some diagnostics and it looks like the profile on BT's side has dropped even further to around 4.5mb so raising a fault would definitely be a wise thing to do: http://faults.plus.net
Adam
UPDATE: I'm just bringing our profile in line with the reduced one on BT's side, as they currently don't match that will have stopped us from managing your traffic effectively and has most likely caused the buffering issues you've had.
Also going forwards we can see exactly which this happened, it's a mismatch of the details we rely on to make sure the speed profiles are kept in line automatically, so this won't happen again. Apologies for any inconvenience!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LoremIpsum

Thanks for your quick reply. I posted this from work.
When I get home I will run a few tests and possibly raise a fault.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Personally I don't think you'll need to raise a fault at all, I think we've nailed this one as per the update part of my last post
I'd still advise doing that if there is still an issue but I'd not expect there to be one.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LoremIpsum

Ran the BT speedtest, got:-
Download speed 4.40Mbs
Upload speed 0.38Mbs
On the extra test:-
DSL connection rate 5.28 DOWN
DSL connection rate 0.45 UP
IP Profile 4.5Mbs
So greatly improved. Thanks.