cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet unusable in the evenings and early morning.

aeroalfie
Grafter

Internet unusable in the evenings and early morning.

Hello,
This problem as far as i can tell started last Thursday afternoon when my connection dropped from the usual 6-7mb speed and re-synced at 11mb  the resulting connection was unusable, restated the web browser, restarted the laptop etc but  no web pages would load - a number of router reboots later and a re-sync at a lower speed and every thing seemed back to normal, until the evening when my connection became completely unusable again even though my connections was at normal sync speeds.
Friday -  connection worked in the evening.
Saturday - connection completely unusable again, did a number of router reboots hoping that something maybe have been stuck or on the wrong gateway but no luck - connection although connected and synced was unusable sat evening all night through to Sunday dinner time.
Sunday - same thing - connection unusable, in the evening all night / morning - working again now at dinner time Monday.
Additional info - already been switched to ADSL2+  - i am unable to run any speed tests or anything in the evening as no web sites will load - nothing has changed hardware wise although i did try a different filter last night but the connection remained unusable.
current plusnet line speed 7mb
current speedtest.net

Things are starting to slow down - speedtest just after 1pm

and

thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Internet unusable in the evenings and early morning.

Hi aeroalfie,
I've ran a few checks on this and can't see anything obvious. If you can raise a fault  we can check it out further for you.
Jojo Smiley
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Doing some testing last night i think i have narrowed the problem down to internal wiring - i have now disconnected the upstairs phone line from the main socket box in the kitchen and my sync speed has shot up to 11mb and the internet is usable at this sync, i shall wait to see what happens this evening.
thanks and sorry for any inconvenience. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi aeroalfie,
My checks are showing that the line is banded now, so you shouldn't be getting more than 4544Kbps. Are you still getting 11000?
Jojo Smiley
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hi joanne,
No i am no longer getting 11mb - the router is back in the living room now and sync is down to:
Ds Rate (Kbps)   4541
Us Rate (Kbps)   1076
I though maybe i had caused this as after posting i removed all extension wires from the main socket then just clipped back in the living room extension.
What does banded mean - is my connection now stuck at this speed?
Im pretty sure the problem lies with the current extension cables coming from the main socket in the kitchen - when the router was plugged into the kitchen socket earlier today with out any of the extensions plugged in so just with the connection as it comes from BT the connection was synced at 13mb.
thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi aeroalfie,
21CN use banded profiles to limit the sync rate on a connection when it's not stable above a certain rate. A brief explanation can be found here I can have the banding removed but there's not much point when the extension cable  is causing problems. Let me know when you sort out your internal wiring and I'll get it lifted.
Jojo Smiley
aeroalfie
Grafter

Thanks Joanne  Smiley
I will leave it as it is for the time being then as things are stable and the my connection worked ok yesterday evening. i think the best course of action is to ultimately disconnect all hard wired extension from behind the face plate and use only the main kitchen socket, i just need to figure out now how to get a wire to the other side of the room where the router can be plugged into a power socket  Crazy
cheers.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI aeroalfie,
Ok, just give us a shout if you need any assistance.
Jojo Smiley
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
I have now disconnected the two hard wired extension and have bough a new plug/socket extension cable that is plugged directly into the main kitchen socket - so it is now BT line > main  socket > plugin extension > wirless router / phone - would it be possible to have the banding on my connection lifted to see how this configuration works over the weekend?
thank you.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not good! If you need the PC and phone a long way from the master socket it should be:
                                     -> Router -> Long ethernet cable -> PC
BT line -> Master socket -> Splitter
                                    -> Telephone extension cable -> Phone
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aeroalfie
Grafter

Oops yes forgot to mention the broadband filter - it is on the other end of the extension cable and the wirless router and phone plug into the filter.
BT line > main  socket > plugin extension >  filter  > wirless router / phone.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi aeroalfie,
what jelv means is that there shouldn't be an extension between the socket and the router.
Jojo Smiley
aeroalfie
Grafter

Due to the location of the main BT socket in the kitchen there is no other way i can see to configure it - the BT wire is under a tiled floor so the socket cant be easily moved  and the nearest electric plug socket needed for the router is on the other side of the kitchen.  Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@aeroalfie
Telephone extension cables vary tremendously; a 1 meter telephone extension could cause problems. Ethernet cables are made to a standard, at 100mbps CAT 5e will safely go to 100 meters without any problems.
To find out what your line is capable of you must put the router by the master socket and leave it there for a week or so to see what speed it settles at. If that means for a while you have power extension leads trailed across the floor I'm afraid that is what is needed (I've had a situation like that before now and put a door mat over it to stop people tripping up).
Edit: Is the extension cable flat or twisted pairs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hello jelv,
It is a flat extension cable.
to have the router plugged direct into the main BT socket requires an electrical extension lead from one side of the kitchen into the middle of the kitchen floor and then the router on the floor and its brick plug plugged into from the other side -  together they stand about 6 inches high right in the middle  of the kitchen floor. I cant hide this under a door mat and with people, kids and dogs about to have all this trailing right across the main through put of the kitchen would be dangerous. 
I gather having the extension cable is far from ideal but it is all i can do for now - if it provides a stable connection albeit slower than the maximum my BT line can handle then i can live with that but presently the line is banded so i don't know what the out come will be with out trying first.