cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet stops working repeatedly - DSL is Down

markb384
Hooked

Internet stops working repeatedly - DSL is Down

Hey. I've been a long term Plusnet customer, with no real problems in the last year or so. However, since the early hours of this morning, I am repeatedly getting drop outs on the Internet. Light goes off on the router, visiting the router 192.168.1.254 page indicates that the DSL is down, connection is lost on both WIFI and Ethernet connections across multiple devices. 

I've restarted the router several times including two factory resets but no luck. Even loading troubleshooting advice on this forum is difficult.

Any solutions?

Edit: Tried to edit to add I'm connected to the Master socket and have been for around a year now after a Plusnet advisor told me following issues, but the internet has been so unreliable I haven't even managed to get this page to load....

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Internet stops working repeatedly - DSL is Down

markb384
Hooked

Hi Gel

Unfortunately, we never use the phone line so we only have a really old crappy tesco value phone that I bought years ago which I've dug out of a box. As I suspect that the phone handset itself is dead, it is impossible to tell anything about the phone line, although it did manage to ring my mobile number. I can't hear a dialtone or anything on the line itself when answering my mobile.

Just to note, everything seemed to go back to normal this afternoon, but it has started happening again this evening (i.e. every ten minutes or so, Internet light on router goes out, internet connection dies and router webpage states DSL is down - lasts for a minute or so them comes back). 

Not had a problem before today (wife says she had issues at around 5.30am or so). 

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @markb384,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your connection, I've performed testing on your circuit today, however, no faults have been detected. The only thing that looks unhealthy is your connection logs as below. Just for clarification are you connected to your test socket rather than master socket?  How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Thanks.

markb384
Hooked

Hi Mads

Thank you for your reply. I am connected to the test socket (as outlined in the red box in the link you provided). We had an issue approximately a year ago where we turned the router off for an extended period of time (whilst we were on honeymoon) and it had issues when we returned. The plusnet support team on the phone told us to try the test socket, they reset some stuff in the background, and we have been in the test socket ever since.

The image you provided looks a lot like I expect based on my experiences today, lots of issues this morning but worked great in the afternoon, then issues again within the last hour.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @markb384,

Thank you for confirming that your router is connected to the test socket. Having tested your line today it appears the dropping connection may be due to a setting being incorrect.

The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated. The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilise and for the information to be received without interference.

Please monitor the connection over the next couple of days and let us know if it doesn't improve.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
markb384
Hooked

Hi

Just bumping this post as the issue appears to have raised it's head again. Unfortunately I am work at the moment on my lunch (I'm NHS so I can't work from home) but my wife (who is trying to work from home) is having issues with the internet light going off intermittently on the router. This has been happening around 5-7pm-ish for the past few days, which was annoying but not world-ending, but it has been like this now since last evening with no recovery all day.

As I am at work at the moment, I can't get any diagnostics or get on to the router immediately, however everything is still setup as it was outlined in the rest of this thread from December.

Thank you

Mark  

markb384
Hooked

Problem is still persisting, and I am home now. Some router information that may help... You might notice that the uptime is very short, as it happened to go down once again whilst I was trying to reply to my comment...

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7180361B005152 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:00:26
7 - Data rate: 1060/16357
8 - Maximum data rate: 1060/17288
9 - Noise margin: 5.3/11.5
10 - Line attenuation: 16.2/27.5
12 - Data sent/received: 46.6K/160.8K
20 - Broadband username: ----
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: ----
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: ----
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Edit: and it went down twice whilst trying to edit this post!!!

markb384
Hooked

No replies for any question raised in this forum? No call centre, no online chat, Facebook and Twitter don't work. I bet I'd get a response if I pulled the direct debit.

Internet was largely ok last night, but is still going off and on again this morning. Several days of this now. Awful service.

markb384
Hooked

Whilst my internet dropout rate has reduced somewhat, it is still happening (even this morning). That's best part of a week without a consistent Internet, and 4 days without a word from Plusnet. Shockingly bad service that is leading me to taking my business (and my mobile contract as well) elsewhere.

I've noticed that occasional threads on here get a one-off response from a "staff member" but with little follow up and no systematic sweep through the various opened threads, it's truly appalling.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@markb384 I am sorry for the delays in getting in touch, we are limited on staff at the moment and working our hardest to keep on top on all our Social Media platforms. I can see the drop in connection you are referring too but our test results are coming back clear with no fault, we need you to plug everything into thetest socket and come back to us if the drops are still occurring.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
markb384
Hooked

Hi @tinytaco  Thank you for your reply. We have been plugged into the test socket since last time we had this issue (Around Dec 2019). We were told at the time that being connected to the test socket will have no downsides, and until recently there hasn't been. Drops are still occuring, although less frequently (normally a couple of times in quick succession then ok for a while again).

Thank you

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI @markb384 Smiley Sounds like you need an engineer after running some tests. To do so I need you to follow this link, read what is advised and reply there for me. Thanks in advance Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
markb384
Hooked

Hi @tinytaco  Thank you for your reply, I couldn't find an obvious "reply" on the link, so I used the "add more details". Thank you

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @markb384 Smiley All done, I'll speak with you via that channel after the engineer appointment has taken place.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team