Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed normal, but gaming is impossible

gizmo2501
Dabbler

Internet speed normal, but gaming is impossible

Hi there,
I have a weird problem:-
My internet has been working fine for 5 or 6 months, but over  the last month and a half, it has been playing up. Streaming, browsing, etc, works fine. But if I load up any online game, it is unplayable due to high ping/lag. It doesn't matter what game I play or what system I use (PC or Wii U), the same issue occurs. This was not a problem until 1.5 months ago. Plusnet sent us a new router, but this has not helped.
I've also experienced times where, once the lag starts, the whole of my Internet drops out and cannot be used on any connected devices for between 5 and 10 minutes.
On my PC, all my games are allowed through my firewall. I've also tried adding my Wii U to the DMZ on my router, but that didn't help.
Basically, every time I play a game, my internet just breaks.
Also, I have run a few speedtest.net tests - I usually get a download speed of 5.5-6mb, and upload of 0.1-0.2, although it was just 0.05..... That could be the problem, as streaming requires no uploading, but gaming does.
Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!

Pulled this from my router, don't know if it helps:-
Link Information
Uptime: 2 days, 4:51:33
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 7,111
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1.74 / 31.42
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.7 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.9 / 6.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,266 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 20,763,434
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 18 / 8,311
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 34,164

This from the BT test:-

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5.07 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.07 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.27 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.1 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
47 REPLIES 47
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet speed normal, but gaming is impossible

The stats from your router are very helpful. You might as well get Plusnet to uncap your upstream speed, then your upstream speed would be about 800kbps or more. But the current capped upstream speed of 444kbps doesn't really explain why the upload speed test results are so low.
If the devices experiencing the issue are connected wirelessly to your router, you'll need to check using an Ethernet connection to see if the problem is with the performance of the wireless connection or something else.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@gizmo2501
As ejs said if you can run us a speed test over ethernet using the BT tester please, we can then take things from there.
BTW let us know if you want us to uncap your upstream too.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi gizmo2501, welcome to the forum.
Well done for posting the stats, always very useful from a diagnostic point of view.. Apart from the capped upstream, your line seems to be performing quite well sync speedwise, but the stats show all the symptoms of noise/interference problems.
Whilst doing some speedtests via a wired connection as has been suggested, do quite a few at off-peak times,  this would then rule out the wireless as a contributing factor to the poor upstream throughput speed. The downstream throughput is below par as well, so the same applies there, but check your Current Line speed (Login required) to see if it matches the BT IP Profile.
That all said, the wireless is not going to be responsible for the high level of CRC and FEC errors, the latter suggesting that Interleaving may be at a high level causing most of the lag issues. So this all begs the question, where has the noise/interference come from that didn't seem to be an issue 5-6 months ago?  It's a case of start with all the basics and eliminate as much as possible, or hopefully readily spot the cause -
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left?
Do all your Microfilters look like this?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and where are you currently plugged in?
Have you changed anything in your set-up in the last 5-6 months?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It might be worth opening a command prompt and entering ping ntp.plus.net and seeing what the response time is.
NoZephy
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
BTW let us know if you want us to uncap your upstream too.

They're a gamer, of course he/she wants it uncapped Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

They have to ask, Plusnet should not willy-nilly make a change to a customer's connection, there can sometimes be other technical repercussions.
NoZephy
Rising Star

I know, it was just a jest. Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I've placed a order to uncap the OP's upload which will complete tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi all,
Thank you so much for the replies - they are all really appreciated.
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you - I was away from the house unexpectedly.
I am still getting this issue, so this is all still relevant.
So, to answer all the questions:-
1. I can't remember if those results were ethernet-based on wireless, but I will add more results below that are ethernet. I think they were ethernet, though.
2. Thanks for the uncap! Does this affect my contract with Plusnet at all? I definitely noticed an improvement in upload speed (0.7mb/s rather than 0.2).
3. There are no odd noises on the phone line - it is very clear.
4. I have a master socket and micro filter as asked, and the router is plugged in to the microfilter and master socket. I have no other phone socket in the house.
5. No set-up change in the last 6 months. The only difference is this started at the same time I got a new TV. I am not sure why this would affect me so much, though. My set-up is as follows:- Router upstairs in the same room as my desktop PC, which connected wirelessly (I know!... Ordered an Ethernet cable, coming soon!). The Wii U and Roku box are under the new TV downstairs. The Wii U is affected, the Roku isn't. 2 laptops in the house; one seems to be affected more than the other. As before, streaming on the Roku is absolutely fine. But streaming on my desktop PC and laptop isn't, and gaming is impossible due to lag. Wii U drops out of online games all the time. I do not know if this is all coincidence or not. It is just odd that the Roku box streams flawlessly (then again, it could buffer, then the internet drop out, then buffer, then drop out, etc, and I may be none the wiser). Also, not just streaming and gaming as affected - my desktop PC and my laptop both regularly won't open any web pages at all, or, if they do, they are very slow. I also tried changing the wireless channel, but this did not help.
I should also note that this was a new line installed with my broadband. I have had this issue for a month and a half (ish), and Plusnet sent a new router, which the issue prevails on. These tests are done with my laptop plugged in to the router via Ethernet. Tests done at 3:40pm.

Live tests, all done on Ethernet connection
ping ntp.plus.net - On Ethernet, Average 32ms, no packet loss. On wireless (sitting next to the router), 92ms average, 0 packet loss. However, I ran this same test 2 days ago and had 100% packet loss and no web pages would open, so this test gives varied results.

Router info:-
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 13:12:13
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,060 / 7,438
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 4.75 / 66.18
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.7 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.1 / 5.6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 60 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5,803 / 28
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,459 / 9,416,179
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 999 / 52,740
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3,423 / 240,263

BT Wholesale Test (Ethernet)
Download: 0.62 mbps (faster thane earlier..... 0.1mbps!)
Upload: 0.72 mbps
Ping: 41 ms

BT In depth test (Ethernet)

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.62 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.62 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.56 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.72Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

Thanks again for any help you can give!
cedlor
Grafter

Knowledgable members will be along later but is the master socket in the same room as the router and PC?
or is it a long run cable.
Maybe start by just having one item pc or laptop connected to the router and everything else switched off
TV included  (preferably unplugged)  and do the BTW test again.
If that comes good plug in and switch on one item at a time and test again with each item added- laborious I know.
Do you know if the "Lag" just affects at certain times/days.
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi there,
Yes, the router and PC are in the same room as the master switch.
I will have to try turning each one on individually, although with these test results, only the laptop was on. The others were plugged in but off.
cedlor
Grafter

Maybe the laptop power supply is the problem???  is the ethernet cable too short to use with the PC?
Whilst not normally recommended try the tests (without the laptop anywhere near)  wirelesslyon the PC.
Have you got a skybox?
This may be quite important if you can give it some thought  "Do you know if the "Lag" just affects at certain times/days."
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Hi Cedlor,
No, the lag happens any time of day.
Yes, the Ethernet cable is too short to reach the desktop, and the wireless results are just as bad, if not worse.
I am not sure we are on the same page if you think a laptop power supply can affect my Internet speeds across different devices?
gizmo2501
Dabbler

Mods, I am snot sure if you can edit the title of this thread or not, as I don't think this is just about gaming anymore, as my internet in general is slow. Gaming just is worse affected.
I just got this from Plusnet:-
"Having tested your line today it appears the instability of the connection may be due to a setting being incorrect for the line. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the broadband to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated. The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilize. Please monitor the connection over the next couple of days, and reply to this message should the connection continue to drop."
I will have a look at this, but the only thing is I am not just having dropped connections but also slow connections.
Any thoughts form anyone on my postings above?
Many thanks again!