cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working for the last couple of weeks, specially at night.

FIXED
Josemacias
Dabbler

Internet not working for the last couple of weeks, specially at night.

Hi, I have been having problems with my internet connection lately. The internet light on the router switches off as soon as I try to connect either my phone or Tv to the wifi, all other lights are on. 

whats more confusing is that this seems to happen only at night when we try to watch Tv (usually on the Amazon Fire tv stick) when I get home in the evening all lights are on, wifi seems to work on the phone, when we sit to have dinner all lights are still on, but as soon as I switch the tv on and launch the fire tv, the internet light turns off and it doesnt come back on until next morning, although this morning was still off when I left. 

I have tried the troubleshooting steps I've found here, reseting the router, unplugging it from the phone line, from the mains, I have changed the password...nothing seems to work.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me as it is getting quite frustrating and I dont know what else to do. 

Thank you in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Internet not working for the last couple of weeks, specially at night.

Check for any noise on your telephone.

Carry out the Plusnet procedure - BT speed tests.

Don't wait a fortnight to report a fault.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Josemacias
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply @VileReynard

I dont have a telephone to connect to the line unfortunately. 

I will find out what the Plusnet procedure is when I get home and will carry it out.

I know I should have reported it earlier but as it is an intermittent problem it has been slipping my mind with the busy days until it gets to the time when I want to use it. 

thanks again

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Josemacias

Thanks for highlighting this.

I have tested your line today and the results indicate a potential issue with the equipment connected to the phone line.

Our tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

To rule out your equipment as the cause, we would like to see if the fault is still present with your equipment disconnected from the line.

Please contact us when all the phone sockets in the property are unplugged and if possible please remove the faceplate of the master socket which will disconnect the internal wiring. We can then retest your line and proceed with our investigation.

Thanks

Dave

Josemacias
Dabbler

Thank you for you response.

I have now unplugged the phone line (there is only the router connected in the house, no more phones or lines connected)
I am now trying to find out how to remove the faceplate, im not very saavy on this and I’ve read that if any damage to the wires are done I could expect a hefty fine for the fix so I need to be careful. I will post if I am able to remove it but I’d appreciate if you run the test again regardless.

also to add to the context, and in case it helps with the diagnostic. today the lights where in in the morning but as soon as I try to connect my tv the internet light switched off. Then it worked for about 1h around 3pm, then stopped working. No light since then.

Thanks again for your help.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Josemacias

Guidance on getting your faceplate removed here.

I'm here until 10pm - let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave

Josemacias
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
Thanks for this. I have removed the plate, Basically unscrewed the bottom part of the socket and taken that plate out.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @Josemacias

I suspect this one is going to require an engineer - could you please respond to the ticket I've raised for you here and let us know when you've done so?

Appreciated

Dave

Josemacias
Dabbler

I have clicked on the link and it takes me to the plus net log in page, but when I put my details Is says they are incorrect! I try recovering the password and same thing, try recovering the username and same! So I cant log in right now...Anything you can do from your end to help me reset it?

Otherwise I’ll try on monday from my office laptop where I should have the password saved, in case im doin something wring here.

Thank you for your help.
Josemacias
Dabbler

ok all done now, I've been able to log in and answered with the available dates. can you please confirm is all done from my end.

Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks @Josemacias.

On checking the account we can see that you've now spoken with an advisor and that you have an appointment booked in for Wednesday 11th December between 08:00 and 13:00.

Please let us know how it goes.

Josemacias
Dabbler

Good afternoon,

The engineer just left and fixed the line, he said something was wrong there, Then he run tests again on the line, the cables, the filter and everything was working, however when he connected the router the internet light was still red and he said it was something to do with software configuration from Plusnet that wasnt allowing the internet to come through so he asked me to contact you guys to see what you can do on your end.

Thanks for your help
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Fix

Hi @Josemacias,

Looking at the connection logs this looks like it's happening because the router has lost its connection information (or part of it) so it's trying to connect with a password that's incorrect. There will be a serial number on the bottom of the Plusnet router that starts N7, can you make sure that ends with the numbers 8136, if it does please factory reset the router by holding something in the reset hole of 10 seconds and leaving the router for about 5 minutes (without trying to access the internet). After this time it should reset itself back up and allow you to connect. 

If the serial number does not match with the above information then please PM me the correct serial number so I can update it on the account and then you'll be able to go through the factory reset process. 

Josemacias
Dabbler

Good Morning, 

So I've reset the router and it worked, internet light on green and internet going faster than ever. At least last night, didnt try again this morning but I dont see why it'd change.

Thank you for your help once again. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Josemacias,

Wonderful to hear. Keep an eye on things and let us know if you have any further issues.