cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet light keeps turning off and on randomly?

fatema32

Internet light keeps turning off and on randomly?

So this has been happening for about 3 months I think. The internet light keeps turning off and after a few minutes it turns back on. I thought and still think it probably has something to do with the DSL wire, so I got a new DSL wire, and the problem was still not fixed. I then thought the filter could be faulty, so I bought a new filter ... and the problem still was not fixed. Each end of the DSL wire is locked into the filter and router so I don't understand why the internet connection suddenly goes away. The phone line works fine and it has been tested by a BT engineer. Sometimes the internet does not come back on and I have to push EVERYTHING in just because I'm not sure what the problem is, even though everything is locked into place. And if it still doesn't come back on, I have to restart my router (which I believe is also causing low internet speeds).
Here's a quick birds eye view I drew of my setup in case you're wondering something's wrong with it:
http://grab.by/lz72
A suggestion on how to fix my problem would be appreciated. Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Internet light keeps turning off and on randomly?

Yes, restarting your modem/router too often will be seen by the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) as a dropping connection and will raise your Target SNRM with resultant slower speed and on 21CN can band your speed as well.
What modem/router is it? What other lights does it have?
If it's got fairly standard LEDs then the Internet one indicates loss off PPP session NOT of DSL sync - that will be the Broadband light. How often does this happen and does it do so at a particular time of day?
Posting some DSL stats will help identify the current state of your connection. If that's a Thomson 582n modem/router to get the stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post.
fatema32

Well now the internet's working fine, but it does go on and off.
- Modem/Router: TG585 v8
- Lights (Power, Ethernet, Wireless, Broadband, Internet) - All the lights are on when the internet is working, but when it's not working all the lights are on other than the internet one.
- How often? It happens quite a lot during the day, and I'm not sure about the times but it happens most of the time and for the majority of the day.
DSL stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:13:33
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 776 / 700
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.11 / 6.39
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 33.5 / 55.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65,536 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,423 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,504,543
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 40 / 15,523
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 12 / 24,518
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

You have a lot of errors there, especially compared with the 1860 CRC errors in 93 hours on my 59dB+ attenuation/3.5dB SNRM line. If there is no noise with a quiet line test (BT/Plusnet dial 17070 select option 2) are you able to temporarily acquire another modem/router (or get a cheap "Ebay" model or even the infamous "postage only" 582n from Plusnet - you will at least have a spare/test unit for the future) to try?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
fatema32

I've tested the line and it's fine. And unfortunately I have a couple spare routers but they are broken, and I don't want to invest in a new router without being sure that it's the problem.
Anotherone
Champion

The stats you've posted show an Uptime then of only 1hr 13 mins 33 secs, had you rebooted the modem/router?
The downstream sync speed is banded so you have a major problem, I'm struggling to see how the Internet is "working fine" with that speed! When looking at the noise margin and the attenuation a lot of things don't add up.
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left? Do all your Microfilters look like this?
If you could describe your set up, what you've got plugged in where etc.
fatema32

Yes, I reboot the router whenever the internet light stays turned off for too long.
When I said the internet was working "fine" I meant the internet light was on and if I waited a minute or two, I would be able to access websites (but slowly).
Yes, I do have a master socket and I'm always using the master socket because all the other sockets in my house do not work as they aren't BT.
I used to have microfilters looking like that, but then they stopped working during the winter due to condensation so I had to buy new ones. My filter looks like this: http://grab.by/lATQ
My simple setup: http://grab.by/lAW2
fatema32

I'm not sure why, but when I log into the router address to try to manually connect to the internet it says "Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your Thomson Gateway is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation." Although, I'm not sure why. Everything is slotted in correctly, and the phone line works fine.
Anotherone
Champion

Is the Broadband light solid in those circumstances?
Anyway, Oh dear, several problems here.
Continual rebooting of the modem/router makes DLM think you have a (worse) line problem. This will no doubt have contributed to the fact your speed is now banded - at the lowest profile as well! You should always endeavour to not lose sync with the exchange unless absolutely necessary, so avoid rebooting/restarting.
The 585 GUI is very similar to the 582n, so you may have noticed when you logged in there was a box called Internet, and you will have seen a button "Disconnect" - this is for the PPP Internet session to the ISP (it doesn't affect sync). It will say "Connect" when there is no Internet PPP session established (the Internet light will be out or perhaps flashing).
You should log in and use this button to reconnect or to Gateway hop, or Disconnect before then powering down - because you want to restart or swap things about. If the later, best to stay off-line for 10 minutes minimum each time.
For more specific 585 information see here.
Next thing, that filter. I don't know if you have any of the "rat's-tail" type (that I linked to) around still, if so you should try one. The type you are currently using are poor quality and will significantly reduce your Broadband performance and as you are on a fairly long line, although exactly how long cannot be determined as current stats will be inaccurate in the present circumstances.
It would be worth checking that there is definitely no internal wiring connected to that master socket. If you remove the lower front plate (nothing else) you should see the Test socket - use that Disconnect method first - log in, click Disconnect and power down the modem/router first. There should be no wires connected to the plate you have removed. If there are any, say what colours they are and what terminal numbers they are connected to.
Finally, simply because of it's age, your 585 has to be suspect faulty. Do you have a spare or can you borrow one that's not locked to another provider?
Even if you haven't got immediate access to a spare, do the other checks and swap the filter and post another set of stats. You won't see any instantaneous change in performance, but the stats may be informative.
Edit: Rather than load them on an external server, to add .jpg/.png attachments to a post, if you didn't use the Reply button, when you've typed the message, click on Preview, then below the box you'll see the + Additional Options and Attachments..., click on the plus then Browse to where you saved the .jpg