cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping.

Dorian182
Dabbler

Internet keeps dropping.

Since last night my internet has started to drop intermittently. It seems to be getting worse. There have been a number of lightning storms in my area lately could this be the reason?
2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet keeps dropping.

Broadband hates lightening!  I've seen a router lose sync every time there was a lightening strike.  Trying to sync at a bad time could give you a very slow speed.  Repeated loss of sync will cause the Dynamic Line Management system in the telephone exchange to boost your signal to noise ratio with a consequent loss of speed. 
So, the first thing to do is turn off your router, wait 5 minutes then turn it on again.  Hopefully that will give you some immediate speed improvement.  Wait a few days and things should continue to improve.  If you're not back to normal then but you haven't had any more thunderstorms post back with your router stats.   
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Internet keeps dropping.

Hi Dorian182,
have a look here for some useful tips on troubleshooting intermittent connection. I notice form your connections that you seem to be switching off your router at night. For best results from your router and line I would recommend leaving it on 24/7
Jojo Smiley