cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping

lemmings

Internet keeps dropping

Hi, we have been connected to Plusnet since September, but this last week we have been having a lot of problems, problems we have never had before...

To begin with we were able to connect to the router, but the router would not connect to the internet.

Now the router is connecting to the internet, but the speed is really very slow. It is taking a fair bit of time to load google, let alone anything else. 

I've had a look at the self-help stuff, but it isn't making any difference. I have also tried going to http://192.168.1.254/ since then it has connected to the internet, but the internet has been really slow. Though that may have been coincidental.

The speed varies, as did the internet connection. It dropped and then came back on some time later automatically. Now it is doing the same but with the speed. 

I'd really appreciate some help because I am in a house of university students in the middle of exam season. 

Thank you!!

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Internet keeps dropping

Try changing the DNS used on connected devices to google's;
See if that helps?
Unfortunately with PN's Hub One Router, you can't make the adjustment there,
but have to do on each connected device.
Slowness could also be caused by your students making heavy d/load & u/load use on
the connection..
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi there, first of all a warm welcome to the community forums.

I am sorry to hear you are having connection problems.

From the visual graph below, things are looking pretty unstable...

Having tested your line today it appears the instability of your connection may be due to a setting being incorrect.

The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated.

The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilize and for the information to be received without interference.

I'd advise to monitor the connection for the next couple of days. If you continue to experience problems and you've tried the checks here I'd recommend completing the broadband troubleshooter here to raise a fault to us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lemmings

Hi,

Thanks for having a look, it has been really unstable!!

It now seems to be worse, it is connecting for about 5 minutes at a time and then going down again.

I logged into the router page and it keeps saying the DSL is down. 

I'm not sure if I can get all the way through the fault page because of the number of times it goes down. I will have to take a walk to the library!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just tested your line and it's come back with:

Problem Explanation: [NF03] The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (CA)
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure. Please report to your Copper Line Service Provider.

I'm just about to test the phone line specifically now.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

So I've tested the phone line and it's suggesting the phone may be with your setup. Can you remove everything from your phone socket and let me know when you've done so, I'll retest the line at that point.

Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus
Description: FAULT - Loop (Rectified)

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.