Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping out

Blakey0500
Hooked

Internet keeps dropping out

Hi,

Over the last week I've had about 3 days where (usually in the late afternoon/evening) the internet starts going very slow and then drops out. I restart the modem and it connects again but it carries on at a crawl. Is there anything I can do. My devices are all connected via wifi.

9 REPLIES 9
Blakey0500
Hooked

Re: Internet keeps dropping out

It's dropped out again this morning. required another restart. Any ideas?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Our tests aren't finding a definitive cause of the drops. I'd recommend running through the steps of the broadband troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net completing the process to raise a fault to us if you still have issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Blakey0500
Hooked

Hi, I'm having problems with my internet again. It's starting dropping out again to the point where it is so slow that I have to restart the modem, but even that sometimes is not sorting the slow internet. It seems to come and go.

I'm not very impressed as I live in the sticks and have to pay £45 for 6 meg internet which is proving to be very unreliable lately. Any suggestions?? I'm not exactly thrilled.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that.

Our tests aren't showing any issues.

Is this over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Blakey0500
Hooked

I believe it's over both. I mainly used wireless though.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Blakey0500 

Sorry to hear this is happening again. 

I've just retested your line and my results are not pointing towards any form of fault or issue. 

If you mainly use wireless - can I please ask you to take a look through our wireless troubleshooter guide here and let us know how you get on with this. 

Thanks 

Blakey0500
Hooked

And the internet grinds to a crawl again..... So annoyed. £45 a month and for what?Huh

Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi there, Since we have not being able to detect an issue on our side, have you managed to go through the trouble shooter my colleague sent yesterday? if so please let us know how you have got on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.