cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet is unbearably slow, customer service not helping.

Pesmerga
Dabbler

Re: Internet is unbearably slow, customer service not helping.

Update: My partner went out to visit her family today and I noticed the internet was actually stable and fast, so I played my game on my PS4 using an ethernet cable, no lag at all (haven't been able to do a single thing on it for days) and another game on my phone, no lag at all. There were absolutely no problems at all while she was out, then as soon as she got back, it was back to being like it had been. I jokingly said it was her fault, then she turned her WiFi off on her phone and it went back to being good again. Turned the WiFi on her phone back on, again it went back to this trash, then she turned ir back off and again it's fine.

Any ideas? It seems to only be like this while she has WiFi activated on her phone. Obviously if we're wanting to watch and play things a temporary solution will be for her to turn it off but understandably she wants to be able to use her WiFi on her phone too, especially since we can't get 3G/4G in our area.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The obvious questions would be to start with, which phone, what iCloud connections is she using, or does it have some kind of Trojan ?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Phone is probably constantly uploading/syncing and using all your upload bandwidth which stops the download working properly. Iphones are particularly notorious for this.

Pesmerga
Dabbler

She has a Samsung Galaxy S6. She said she did try using Dropbox and she said at the time that was when the internet started doing this. However, she deleted the app since then. Her phone has never caused the internet to do this before though. How do I check for trojans?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I don't know, but a quick Google search revealed a few ways, including a built in app.

You may also want to search on data is my Galaxy S6 using.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Your line stats are stunningly good. Seems that something on your wife's phone is hogging the internet. Note I've an iPhone and two iPads and they do not cause the problems you report ... even with Dropbox installed. Could it possibly be down loading updates?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Mustrum wrote:

The obvious questions would be to start with, which phone, what iCloud connections is she using, or does it have some kind of Trojan ?

I can't remember how to quote multiple posts, so I'll have to answer each of the replies individually Embarrassed

If it is a Samsung S6, it is an Android phone - Can an Android phone use the iCloud?- I wouldn't have thought so, but I could be wrong as I use a mobile phone as a phone, and an Ipad for moblle computing.

John
jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

Phone is probably constantly uploading/syncing and using all your upload bandwidth which stops the download working properly. Iphones are particularly notorious for this.

This a Samsung Galaxy S6 ANDROID phone.

John
jab1
Legend

@Pesmerga - sorry, as we have now established that it is your partners phone causing the problem, and nothing to do with your Plusnet connection, as I know nothing about Android phones, I am going to bow out of this discussion and leave it to those who hopefully know more.

John
jab1
Legend

@crt -ignore the request for VR plots &c - as you can see, the problem is user equipment.Wink

John
Pesmerga
Dabbler

Thank you all for the help. She put her phone onto power saving mode which seems to have thus far been successful. Not sure if the issue has been resolved but for now, it's working fine without any issues. I saw appreciate all of the replies. Take care everyone!!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You need to get to the bottom of this one. If you are on a measured service, it could consume your allowance with out you being aware. What's worse when not at home, it could be trashing your wife's mobile data allowance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.