Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet down and no support from Plusnet

MrGanteng
Dabbler

Internet down and no support from Plusnet

Hello, 

I have been having regular problems with my broadband speeds, often unable to go above 0.05 mb/s.

This is fine, however the problem is I am unable to reach customer support.

I have tried:

• Phoning (on hold for 30+ mins and tried 5+ times)
  • Tweeting (no response)
  • Going to their HQ in Sheffield (security said to call the standard helpline number)

What's the next step, a written complaint? Can anyone from Plusnet customer support help me please as i'm having to go to cafes and have spent more on coffee this month than on my broadband!!

56 REPLIES 56
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Internet down and no support from Plusnet

@MrGanteng  Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @MrGanteng, thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry to read you're having trouble with getting in touch with us over the phone and with your connection speeds. Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net  

Thanks. 

MrGanteng
Dabbler

It looks like the there is a problem with the website, when i try logging into my plusnet account through a variety of different browsers and mobile device there is a blank screen. 

I have re-set my password so it is not a problem with a wrong password and i am using data aswell as wifi so it's not a problem with internet connection. 

Come on Plusnet... this is very bad.

plusnet-screenshot.png

jab1
Legend

Sorry, @MrGanteng , but that is totally unrelated to your initial 'problem', for which I offered a way of helping you.

John
MrGanteng
Dabbler

Hi jab1, I'm trying to report my fuault via faults.plus.net.

jab1
Legend

OK, that was not clear from your post above.

I still suggest that you follow my initial advice, as even if you succeed in reporting it via that link, there is no guarantee you will get an effective response.

John
MrGanteng
Dabbler

I have watched the video and gone through the different steps to troubleshoot.

All wires are plugged in correctly, connecting my laptop directly with the router via the cable etc...

This issue is seen mostly during the day, evening is fine so at the moment i have a great connection however i know that tomorrow midday it will be another story.

Attached are screenshots of the speeds I've been getting. Do let me know if you require any more info from me.

speed-test-2020-10-07.png2020-10-09-pm.jpgspeed-test-2020-10-08.pngspeed-test-2020-10-09.png

jab1
Legend

Those speed test results do look horrendous, I agree, but the information we really need to profile this problem is that requested in the rest of that post:

• Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream) - only available for ADSL not FTTC

If you have a Plusnet supplied router this here will give them. Alternatively put your router in
here for guidance.

I would also suggest you run the FULL BT speed test detailed.

John
MrGanteng
Dabbler

Hi, I have got the data and ran the speed test with BT using an ethernet cable. see below.

ROUTER-STATS.jpgbt-speed-test-2020-10-10-additional.jpg

jab1
Legend

Morning @MrGanteng Thanks for that. At a quick glance, as I am due to go out soon, the only items of interest on the router status page are the uptime - hopefully you don't shut down the router overnight? - and the down-stream SNR, which looks a little high, given the other data on there.

As to the BT speed test failure, I am slightly bewildered - who is your phone service provider - Plusnet or another?

I have no idea, as I've never seen a 2704N router, but is there an option somewhere to view the router logs - they could be interesting.

As the BT test is failing, could you try https://www.speedtest.net/ , please?

Hopefully, I should be back at lunch-time or just after, so I will respond ASAP after then.

EDIT: Have you tried the Quiet Line Test -17070, option 2, preferably from a corded phone?

John
MrGanteng
Dabbler

Hi @jab1 I keep the router on 24/7.

I have a registered phone number with Plusnet but i don't own a landline as i just use my mobile. 

My internet speed is pretty good now as it's showing at 11mb/s which i dream of remaining constant Cheesy

The screenshots attached above show the results i get when my internet drops. 

Is it possible to do a 'quiet line test' without a landline? 

jab1
Legend

Do you pay your line rental to PN?

Your speed should be better, looking at the DSL data in your last post, even allowing for the raised SNR.

Can you run the Speedtest.net link above, both when you have good and bad speeds please?

It is not possible to do a QLT without a handset, and to be honest, even if you don't use the landline, a cheap, corded handset is a vital tool in this kind of situation - if there are phone problems, you will never solve broadband issues. They are available from Argos at ~£5.00.

Did you find any router logs?

John
MrGanteng
Dabbler

Hi @jab1 

I pay PN yes for line rental Cheesy

I can't find any router logs unfortunately... 

Here's the speedtest:

SPEED-TEST-1.jpg

jab1
Legend

Not surprised you can't find any logs - although the information I have been able to find on the net is sketchy to say the least, there is no mention of being able to find this basic and useful information.

As you have said you leave the router powered on 24x7, it appears to be rebooting itself, which suggests it is loosing connection with the exchange - your screenshot earlier this morning only showed an up-time of around 3h 30min.

If that speedtest has been run wired, there is definitely something wrong - according to the shot, you should be getting something closer to 13-13.5Mb/s

John