cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet doesn't work when son uses PS4

Bright8
Grafter

Internet doesn't work when son uses PS4

I was wondering if anyone can help me please. Everytime my son puts his PS4 on the internet on my laptop and his desktop cuts out? Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it. I have noticed that the PS4 seems to have it's own network in the list of available networks, should this be the case? 

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Internet doesn't work when son uses PS4

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Can you please explain a bot more clearly what you mean by "cuts out" and "have its own network in the list of available networks"?

Do you mean that the other devices lose connection to the network?  If yes exactly what do you see?

What list of networks - where?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bright8
Grafter

Re: Internet doesn't work when son uses PS4

Hi, thanks for the welcome and reply. I only just noticed this. For as long as I can remember my household devices (computers, phones, print, ps4) have all been able to use the internet at the same time.

But for the past week or so if any device is being used and my son switches on his ps4 the other device(s) lose connection. We get messages like no access, no connection available, no available networks and the icon at the bottom of the computer goes from white to grey with a red cross over it.

And if you look on the router at this time the internet light is off and the wifi is flashing, eventually going off.

Then when you try to reconnect by clicking on the internet icon at the bottom of the page it gives a list of available wifi connections (presumably ,my neighbours) and mine. Mine is called Plusnet for example and sometimes its on the list and sometimes it's not and so I click on it to try and reconnect. But the strange thing is that when my son has the playstation on it's connected to it's own network called PS4xxx, whereas it used to be connected to Plusnet before. According to the PS its connected to Plusnet. It makes no sense. And I don't understand how the PS could work when my router wifi light is off as is the internet one.