Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnects

Mardler
Rising Star

Internet disconnects

Resident north east Norfolk.

Just had internet disconnects. ADSL and internet lights on router are lit normally.

Anyone aware of internet outages?

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet disconnects

Hi there. Our tests aren't finding a definitive cause of the problem.

It doesn't look like your connection has dropped today either:

If the internet and DSL lights were lit normally, it's likely you've felt disconnects over WiFi?

Unless you're using a wired connection?

If you are using a wireless connection I'd recommend running through the steps here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks.

The connection is to the internet. The ADSL2+ connection to the exchange has been up since last evening (it often drops then).

I noticed the connection loss whilst using an iPad. A Chromecast Audio stream also stopped. Obviously, both are WiFi. WiFi signal was checked and fine.

Was able to login to the router which is impossible when the ADSL2+ broadband connection is down.

Went to PC which is ethernet, hard wired to router: no internet but still able to log in to the router.

Happened twice. Second time I was using the PC. Stable since.

Am putting it down to external factors: exchange or area fault. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the info. It might be related to the drops we're seeing in the evenings over the past few days.

Hopefully the issue doesn't return. Let us know if it does though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, Anoush.

No, I don't think it's related to the drops. Those are almost daily - see my aside below. 

OpenReach has been working on our lines and the exchange this week so that's a possibility. Also, a handful of reports on line confirm some internet problems in our area. Also, it has happened a few times in the past including the odd backbone glitch and not least for up to three days just in this village - that was internet only and ADSL2+, the phones were fine on vox. Subsequent to that our problems started:-

The aside: I had a long thread on poor internet connection and speed a while back. That improved a lot with a new (Billion) router and subsequent tweaking. A few months ago, for some reason possibly me, the router reconnected after the usual outage at a ludicrous SNRM of 1 - and held it until the TV was turned on and the instantaneous noise dropped the connection. I upped the router target SNRM a little (to 2, currently showing as 4) and since then it has been stable with usually two to four days between outages. With the coming longer days stability should improve. We're currently syncing at just over 19mbps: we can live with a few outages if that is maintained.
Thanks for your swift response, feel free to close this topic.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all. Let us know if you do experience further issues.

feel free to close this topic.

Threads/topics can't be closed, but it'll slowly fade away into the abyss of the forum pages as newer threads are created. Unless someone replies to this thread, in which case it'll be bumped up. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet