cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet did work, now it won't

lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Internet did work, now it won't

Thanks for your time on the phone today.  As discussed, I'd recommend that you arrange for an IT professional to look at your laptop as we have ran through all diagnostics for your connection and have been unable to get your machine back online.  Please let us know if you still cannot find a solution.  For the other users in this forum we ran through the following:
- Disconnected from the router wirelessly.
- Deleted all profiles from Windows relating to wireless networks.
- Configured TCP/IP v4 back to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server addresses automatically".
- Re-connected to the router wirelessly.  Received message advising "Connected but not able to access the internet."  Also saw the yellow exclamation on network status indicator indicating a TCP/IP issue.
- Opened a command prompt and ran "netsh int ip reset" and "netsh firewall reset" commands.
- Restarted
- Again tried to connect to router wirelessly and still unable to gain access.  Yellow exclamation.
All other machines on site working perfectly on both wired and wireless.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Alex
I'd recommend that you arrange for an IT professional to look at your laptop as we have ran through all diagnostics for your connection and have been unable to get your machine back online. 

As an IT Professional I must say that problems of this sort (simultaneous failure of wired and wireless connection) are rare.  I have seen attempts to install Norton Internet Security go wrong and scupper Internet Access but that is the Norton Firewall not working properly and obvious does not apply in this case.  I have never ever seen the Windows built-in firewall give problems.
For diagnostics I would try ipconfig /all in a CMD window to see what the computer thinks it has achieved by way of connectivity.  I would poke around what else is running to look for signs of malware or some other software firewall.  And just to be absolutely sure I would check the router with my own laptop.  You have already reset TCP/IP as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 - don't know if the log is worth examining?
The other option that might solve the problem without knowing what it was, would be to run System Restore and wind the settings back to a time before the trouble started.   
lexusuk
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
As an IT Professional I must say that problems of this sort (simultaneous failure of wired and wireless connection) are rare.  I have seen attempts to install Norton Internet Security go wrong and scupper Internet Access but that is the Norton Firewall not working properly and obvious does not apply in this case.  I have never ever seen the Windows built-in firewall give problems.

It's worth ruling out but the customer is using Windows Security Essentials and Windows Firewall so unlikely the cause.
For diagnostics I would try ipconfig /all in a CMD window to see what the computer thinks it has achieved by way of connectivity.

I'd say this has been ruled out as the TCP/IP and DNS config has been entered manually and still no connectivity.
The other option that might solve the problem without knowing what it was, would be to run System Restore and wind the settings back to a time before the trouble started.   

Agreed, this might be the easiest solution.
northnewforest

Guys
Thanks for your help.  It really is appreciated.  I had a backup from the day it all went wrong so re-installed windows.  Still nothing.  Since the old laptop didn't owe me anything (dell inspiron 1501 purchased 2007) I decided to replace it a bit earlier than planned.  Anyone want an old laptop with no networking?  I've already had the memory out of it, sorry  Smiley
I will be putting it in for the most durable laptop...
It lived in a caravan for 7 months during which time the dog pushed it off onto the floor, twice.  Didn't seem to bother it.
It's been to canada twice, USA once (as hand baggage Embarrassed long story) germany twice, france bout four times, italy twice and spain once.
It's been used by a staffi pup as a plaything when I wasn't looking.
It had a half pint (literally) of tea poured over the keyboard (a year ago) which killed it stone dead, so I removed everything I easily could, and left it out on the lawn for the rest of the day (sunny nice breeze) to dry out.  The next morning and it worked fine.  Until now.
Well, lets see what Mr Asus can do...