cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly cutting out

BenXFD
Grafter

Re: Internet constantly cutting out

Sorry for the bump but it's the same issue and all the history is in here.
Basically, we have the trim off the door now so an engineer can get to the wire.
I work full time and have several out of work responsibilities so i haven't had the time, nor have I really had the desire to really chase this as the connection did seem to have settled. However, it started again few weeks ago and is as bad as ever.
Anyway, if some kind of official fault could be raised again i'd appreciate it. I want to like Plusnet, I really do, when it works it's great, but the issues are beyond annoying at this point, not to mention it's slowed right down.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi BenXFD,
I'm really sorry to hear that the issue has appeared again. Can you please complete the Broadband Fault Checker at http://faults.plus.net and I'd be more than happy to take a look at things again for you.
BenXFD
Grafter

Okay, no problem. Have done that and my question/fault ticket is #68478562
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thank you for that.
I've just updated the fault ticket for you.
BenXFD
Grafter

10:51am, Friday 19 Apr 2013
Dear Mr Rogerson,
Thank you for your continued patience. I am really sorry for the problems that you are experiencing with the dropping on your Fibre connection. I have been in touch with suppliers who have confirmed that an engineer is being assigned to resolve an issue on the BT Network. The engineer does not require access to your property, if this changes, we will be in touch to arrange this with you.
We will be back in touch within 48-72 hours once we receive a further update from our suppliers. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that this fault is causing you.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search if we can be of any further assistance.

2:25pm, Monday 22 Apr 2013
Dear Mr Rogerson,
I tried to call you today but there was no answer.
We have been informed by our suppliers that they were unable to gain access to your premises on Saturday around 2pm.
Your appointment for another engineer has been re-booked for
Wednesday 24/04/2013 between 8am and 1pm.
If an engineer visits your premises and the fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £60 will apply. Please call us on 0345 140 0200 if this needs rearranging.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]

I hope this is a bad joke.
We are not psychic and cannot assume when your engineers may turn up and want access to the house. Nor am I under any circumstances paying £60 for an issue which has been present since installation. I'm sure you have the ability to check my connection history and i'm sure these issues have been present ever since. A combination of ignoring it because I couldn't be bothered with going round in circles and just being too busy with real issues to notice does not necessarily mean the issue wasn't there and i'm sure your graphs will show such things.

The basic fact is, this issue has been here since installation, we have removed the trim which has made our front door an eyesore and there is absolutely no chance we are paying for anything else and if it comes to that then we will just be going elsewhere.
jim:csa
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The £60 statement is a standard statement, I'm sure someone from Plusnet will confirm that it will not apply in the current circumstances.
BenXFD
Grafter

I assumed as much,  but wanted to make my opinion clear on the matter.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've had a look over your fault ticket and it certainly doesn't look like the engineer charge will apply.
BenXFD
Grafter

The engineers came today and did the usual tests, then 'cut' the troublesome wire. I wasn't home, i've been at work so only relaying information.
Anyway, it's been settled tonight so we'll see what happens. It is very slow though still so could I request a graph just to see any immediate difference and a profile reset if it's not too much trouble?
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

Why did they 'cut' the "troublesome" wire? I thought there was a BT80 connector there so the wires should have been removed from the connector!
So out of curiosity what was different about your set-up during the months that things remained stable?
Do I now take it that you are left without a working extension socket simply because OpenReach or their sub-contractor didn't do the installation properly in the first place?
BenXFD
Grafter

Well as I say, i'm relaying information so i'm not sure entirely what was done as what remains there seems completely foreign to me and the only person who was in was my Mother who is recovering from a shattered heel bone so she wasn't in the position to really be monitoring the situation.
However, I trust the engineers will have some sort of report to give to PlusNet on the work done?
Nothing at all was different. I left the phone socket upstairs free as advised. It may have been going off sporadically in the meantime but i certainly didn't notice it as much, however I have been working more so i'd be less likely to notice it.
I'm not sure who's fault it was but yeah I don't have a working extension. I'm looking into those wireless adapters you can get just to plug in the multiroom sky box.
Anotherone
Champion

Does the Multiroom box up there definitely need a phone line or can it work on ethernet?
BenXFD
Grafter

We have been told by Sky that it does. For updates and box office if we use it. The ethernet does not offer the same services.
"Dear Mr Rogerson,
Since the engineer visit, I am pleased to see that your issue now seems to be resolved.
The line is stable and the speed is reporting as at around 22Mbps.
Please monitor for a few days and get back to us if you have any more"
As i replied in my question, I hope that the issue is resolved and i'm pleased we seem to  have reach a possible conclusion. However, a profile of 22MB is slightly disappointing considering we were getting around 60MB before the issue kicked in.
Anotherone
Champion

Slightly disappointing Roll_eyes You need to request that Plusnet pester BTOR for a full profile reset.
Are you any good with a bit of DIY eg. running a cable from your existing master socket to your extension socket where you have the Multiroom - it's not a complex job, the main skill will be the neat running and clipping of the cable, the wiring bit is a doddle I can explain if that is a sensible solution.
It's a filtered line from the front plate of the master so won't affect your fibre.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks like the profile's updated to around 45Mb as things stand, which is a good improvement on the 22Mb. Hopefully it'll keep on moving upwards, fingers are crossed for you.