Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly cutting out

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Internet constantly cutting out

When you are unplugging the sky box are you unplugging the adsl filter as well? Was the engineer who installed the fibre aware of the extension?
My comment in reply #5 was on the assumption was that is was filtered by the vDSL filter.
Is this "wall" just a piece of plasterboard put there to give a"nice" finish? How easy is the cable run from where this BT80/77 is supposedly located to the NTE5a?
BenXFD
Grafter

Just had a chat with my Dad, the BT80 box is actually behind the seal of our front door. We got new doors put in about 4 years ago and it seems they covered the box up. There's the black wire going through the wall outside and then a white wire comes out the side of the new door at the top. So to get to it we'd have to actually take the door out.
Yeah, i am removing the filter as well. The engineer who installed was aware and if I remember correctly he just said the extension would be cut off completely. i accepted that and figured i'd find a way to get the sky box connected in the future. Which is why I surprised when he left it still worked but I didn't think much of it at the time.
I've just had a bit of an investigation.. the black wire comes in from outside, then on the left hand side of the door a wire comes out and heads upstairs. From the bottom of the door, another wire goes across skirting boards to the NTE5a.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that, I was just about to ask all that! Is the NTE5a located on an internal wall or external wall.? If internal, how easy is the route from outside to the NTE5a - does it have to come in next to the front door or is their an easier route?
BenXFD
Grafter

Though, I still don't really understand how the connection would work without a single disconnection for 6 weeks if this extension was the problem.

Anyhow, I took some pictures to help explain what I mean about the wire coming in through the door:
http://t.co/Of6eljzO
http://t.co/AtZNPvXV
http://t.co/5q9M1uC6
http://t.co/fSKlWKJn

The NTE5a is located on internal wall between the living room and the kitchen.
It comes in the same way at the extension, it seems to split behind the door seal and it comes at the bottom of the seal and then goes across the skirting board in the hall and then into the living room where the NTE5a is located. It's probably the easiest and most straight forward route it could have. The other option would be going all around the outside of the house and come in round the back..
Anotherone
Champion

The pictures were very helpful, although one of the cable at the door for the NTE5 would have been useful as would the first part of the run from the door.
This door "seal" that you talk about, is it the 2-3" wide plastic trim above the door frame? (also down the side of the frame on the inner wall(s)).
I guess the "sky socket" room is not on the same side of the house as the front door?
Before the problems, what was the best speed that you were getting?
Now before I comment further, let me directly address the engineer's comments on the ticket -
As stated by previous engineer there is a tap from BT80 or equivalent before NTE5/VDSL2 FRONTPLATE that has been covered up. I explained to Mr Rogerson that this extension would have to be removed completely from the joint for fibre broadband to work without any errors.

This is BS. If there is an internal cable fault then there is know way of knowing whether it is on the run to the NTE5a or to the extension socket, in other words there is no point in disconnecting the extension wiring at the BT80 (given access to it is not readily available). The first thing would be to check and confirm there is an internal cable problem by testing from the external joint on the outside wall.  As I said earlier, the wiring and sockets are Openreach's problem as it is all before the NTE5. In one sense this is technically a sub-standard fibre install,. but obviously you don't want any unnecessary disruption to internal decor.
You asked how it would work for 5/6 weeks without a disconnection and then have this problem. Well I expect it's external.
IF you had noticed a speed issue when the Sky was plugged in, then it's possible that the ADSL filter could have gone faulty.  However, a standard ADSL filter is not adequate for vDSL. So you should have been provided with another vDSL filter at the "sky socket"  by replacing the socket. If there was a speed problem related to plugging in the Sky box, fitting a vDSL filter should solve the problem.
The reason I've been asking all the questions is that the cable from this BT80 is CW1308 standard cable which is not ideal for vDSL. Ideally the incoming black cable should go straight to the NTE5a or it should have been replaced with the higher standard "Data extension cable" - not an easy thing to do in your case.
If your original speed was as fast as was expected considering your distance from the cab, which you have indicated it was, then the easiest solution to the filter issue would probably be for another vDSL plate to be fitted for the extension socket.
Edit: typo and clarification.
BenXFD
Grafter

I'll try and get a picture of the cable for the NTE5 in a little bit.
Yeah that's the seal I mean.
No, sky socket room is above the back door.
When we signed up we were estimated to get 36Mb, once connected we were getting about 34Mb which i'm more than happy with. I then upgraded to the 80/20 mainly for the upload speed, but once upgraded we got 40 up and 17 down, which again I was very happy with.
Since the issues started though, the speed has gone down to about 17 down and 4 up which isn't too great but on o2 we were getting about 1.5 down so it's still fast to us haha.
We don't have anything plugged into the extension at the moment, but i do have a couple of spare ADSL filters, do you suggest me plugging the sky box back in with one of the spare ADSL filters to see if this makes any difference?
Anotherone
Champion

No point in changing the filter, if the drops are continuing with it unplugged. I'm sending you a PM.
Anotherone
Champion

To be clear, this is not an EU responsibility "internal wiring issue". OpenReach must carry out the proper Copper Line Tests using such equipment as a Hawk Tester to locate the external fault.
BenXFD
Grafter

I don't know if anyone from Plusnet is actually still reading this thread, but i got this message in my fault ticket:
The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.
Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.

It contradicts itself, however, that's not my worry. My worry is that for some reason, someone has closed the fault ticket when my problem is far from resolved. Starting to lose patience to be honest.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, are you saying your fault ticket has been closed, can you post the ticket number. In view of what was last put on the ticket by you, a response is due. As advised I'm aware of BTw's action but that isn''t the same as closing your ticket.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The ticket is indeed still open but we'll need to reopen the fault with BTw before things can be progressed any further. Suspect it'd be worth updating the ticket with all relevant information then give us a heads up here and we'll give the faults team a nudge to get things moving again for you.
BenXFD
Grafter

Ah i see, this is my first fault ticket so I misunderstood the message!
The fault ticket #60836709 does have all the info about the problem, along with a link to this thread, so they should have everything needed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's far, far better to make sure all the pertinent information is added to the ticket rather than expecting the faults bods to plough through a long forum topic (which I very much doubt they'd attempt to do).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

It is in the ticket! (and very specific posts have been referred as well).
Quote from: BenXFD
The fault ticket #60836709 does have all the info about the problem, along with a link to this thread, so they should have everything needed.
BenXFD
Grafter

Can I request a connection log as I haven't noticed any issues since last night, but of course I could of missed it.