Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly cutting out

BenXFD
Grafter

Re: Internet constantly cutting out

Thanks for the replies.
Just tried connecting directly to the modem, unfortunately it's still cutting out.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Again, add the information to the ticket.
BenXFD
Grafter

Just an update... i'm adding all this to the ticket btw.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your fault ticket has been updated and a potential issue has been identified. We're investigating this further and awaiting an update from our suppliers.
Anotherone
Champion

Do you mean BT Wholesale haven't a clue?
BenXFD
Grafter

This is really confusing me now.
The log says 'Potential copper joint fault' however the engineer that came out is again convinced it's just the extension going to the sky box? Here's the notes:
Notes - As stated by previous engineer there is a tap from BT80 or equivalent before NTE5/VDSL2 FRONTPLATE that has been covered up. I explained to Mr Rogerson that this extension would have to be removed completely from the joint for fibre broadband to work without any errors. He said he had to leave to collect his car and he needed to discuss this with his family/Greenfield properties as to how to proceed if joint box can be exposed etc, he may disconnect extension himself etc. LTOK but showing end user equip detected due to tap.
looks like there is an extension connected before the master socket. That is causing the issue and needs to be removed. passing back to EU to adv on how he wants to progress.

I don't believe this to be the case though. Our fibre optic was working for weeks after we got installed without any issues whatsoever, how come after 5/6 weeks it's suddenly decided it doesn't like the extension?
The first engineer also said that by unplugging the sky box from the extension line then the problem would be solved. He was '110% sure', even though at the time (and still now) i don't think it's anything to do with the extension. Now the second engineer says it needs taking out completely which means knocking out a section of a wall.
Anotherone
Champion

Have you got something plugged into this extension? Did you have something plugged into it when the Fibre install was done?
BenXFD
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Have you got something plugged into this extension? Did you have something plugged into it when the Fibre install was done?

It's plugged into the Sky multiroom box with an adsl filter. We have to, as per the contract with Sky, have the multiroom box constantly plugged in. However the first engineer suggested unplugging it and just plugging it once a week to check for updates or whenever we wanted to order on Sky Box Office.
We tried that but it didn't make any difference whatsoever so I just plugged it back in about 5 days later.
It was plugged in when the install was done and remained plugged in with 5 or 6 weeks of perfect uninterrupted connection, and was only removed when the first engineer said it was the cause of the problem that had developed in the past 2 weeks.
Anotherone
Champion

What type of socket is it? Is it another NTE5? (An ADSL filter isn't good enough for vDSL.)
BenXFD
Grafter

I'm not sure. I'm not too good when it comes to these technicalities! It's just an old fashion fixed plate one I believe. It's been there for about 10 years now.
Anotherone
Champion

Well for a start, as the connection is prior to your NTE5a, the cable and socket are technically OpenReach's responsibility and problem.
Where exactly is the BT80 box and is the cable run to the "Sky socket" internal? Can you have a look at the wiring connected to the back of the "sky socket" and see what colour wires are connected to which terminal numbers?
Anotherone
Champion

Does the rear of the "sky socket" look like the rear of the LJU pictured here.
In theory it shouldn't have the yellow ring capacitor whether it's a LJU1, 2 or 3.
BenXFD
Grafter

Sorry, i'm not entirely sure which the BT80 box is.
There's the main phone socket in our living room which has the new BT Openreach vDSL plate.
Then apparently (i'm too young to remember) they put in an extension which for some reason, goes to the front door, then somehow behind some kind of wall above the door and then appears in one of the bedrooms.

I just took the plate off and had a look. We've got a blue wire going to 5, and white going to 2.

Yes, it looks just like that except for the yellow capacitor like you say.
Anotherone
Champion

Near the bottom of the page with the LJU pictures there's picture of BT80/BT77 they are small white rectangular connector boxes.
Can you clarify, does the "sky socket" have the yellow ring capacitor not? and no wire was connected to terminal 3, well that's one good point.
BenXFD
Grafter

Ah, well i've never seen this BT80 so i'm guessing that's what must be behind the wall above the door.

The sky socket doesn't have the yellow ring capacitor, it seems to be the 'LJU2 Secondary' on that list.