cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection via PDA using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

Moondog

Internet connection via PDA using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

Hello,
I wonder if someone out there can help me.
At the moment I am occasionally accessing the Internet from a PDA via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi using the dial-up number. I have noticed that when I dial-up using Bluetooth (I'm not sure about WI-Fi, I can sit in front of my PC with Bluetooth), the Internet connection on my PC shuts down. I suppose this makes sense, but can someone please confirm for me that this is indeed the case, that when I access the Internet remotely with my home PC connection live, the PC connection will shut down for the duration of the remote access?
The reason this is important is because in the future I will want to log-in to my own PC remotely to monitor and possibly modify certain Internet activities being undertaken on my PC. This, of course, will not be possible if my PC Internet connection has shut down.
Is there a way around this or do I just have to access my PC via another ISP?
Thanks in anticipation.
Bob

10 REPLIES 10
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Internet connection via PDA using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth

Welcome to the forums Moondog
If you have a static IP address and are using your main account login details this will be the case (For bluetooth to a dialup modem), as both connections will have the same IP address.
Just go here;
http://www.plus.net/products/residential/payg/payg_standard.html
And create a new Dial up Pay As You Go account for use on the PDA.
Chilly
Moondog

That simple!
Many thanks, Chilly, I'll try that.
Bob Smiley
Moondog

Hi,
Not as simple as I thought. 
I have tried opening the account, but I get the queston "Please enter the phone number you will be using to connect to the Internet".
Is this my number or PlusNet's dial-up number? (Sorry if this seems a daft question.)
I put in the mobile number I will be using as a modem - it tells me it is not a valid phone number.
I put in PlusNet's dial-up 08451422000 - it tells me it is not a valid phone number.

I put in my home landline number and it accepts it - but I won't be using that number to connect, I'll be using my mobile number.
What is the correct number?
Thanks. Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Your home phone will do. It makes no difference for a Dial up Pay As You Go.
The phone number is used for the "Anytime" accounts, where you pay a fixed charge and use a free call number to connect.
Moondog

Thanks again! Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Who mobile phone company do you use?
The reason I ask is you could set up your PDA wireless that way and  you can use it on the move.
Most mobile phone companies give their pay monthly customers 1/2 price wi-fi connection and a free wi-fi modem.
I am with 3 and got a free usb modem and 3gb download per month for £7.50 and its a lot faster than dial-up
Puddy
chillypenguin
Grafter

Most PDA's don't have USB ports.
It may be possible to set up a GPRS/3G data connection via the bluetooth thou.
Chilly
puddy
Grafter

I can connect both Nokia E65 and N95 mobile phone to my wirelss router could you setup a PDA in the same way? can you buy any add-on kit for the PDA?
My mrs has a paid for account and I have a payg account but I can piggyback her connection. Her internet connect does not close when we are both using the internet. do they need to click share the internet connection in setup to solve the problem?
Puddy
cp:quote
itsme
Grafter

Normally when you connect the Nokia phones or a PDA to a router using wifi they are treated as just a another device connected to the LAN and will not affect the internet connection.
What the OP is trying to do, I think, is having the PDA connect to the internet using dial up using his PN account. This will drop the braodband line if he has a static IP.
What I'm not sure is what dial up route he is using. Normally when using bluetooth dial up on a PDA this is to a mobile phone. The mobile phone will then act as a dial up modem and will be charged by time. This is not the best way to get access to the internet. It's better to use GPRS as this has a faster connection and is charged by the data transferred and not by time. I normally set my PDA/mobile phone for both connection types as sometimes GPRS is not available, especially when roaming in other countries.
puddy
Grafter

Does a pda have a sim card?
if not and he connects using a mobile phone you can ask a mobile phone company for a data sim card?  You pop the sim card in to a mobile phone then the mobile phone and/or router dials *99# and connects to the internet.
This way you do not pay in time but data only
3 told me I had to use their router/modem because it will not work using a mini-pci card in my laptop. but it will work using my intel 5520 minipci card. Can you add parts i.e internal router to a pda?
puddy