Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps dropping

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

I am very sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing.

@SludgeIsland Have you noticed any improvements since your last post? Looks like the connection has been stable with no drops in the last 11 days.

@Izzyandollie Are you still noticing issues?  With regards to your refund for downtime please see TICKET: 164948563 for an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi LaurenB.  Simple answer: NO!  Christmas night, my daughter tried to stream some music to accompany her singing.  Internet kept dropping.  All lights illuminated on the router, but same as with desktop, laptop, tablets and sky+ box... it kept breaking for about 10 minutes at a time.  I am seriously looking at other ISPs now, as this is unsatisfactory. As I have said before, perhaps fibre broadband would be the answer, as I am sure the problem is trying to get too much data down too small a channel. but apparently OpenReach are unlikely to install fibre in this area (SE London/Kent borders) in the next year. 

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

The problem has not got any better. The broadband connection may be remaining stable, but the internet certainly is not. This afternoon and this evening, the internet connection failed five times between 14.00 and 17.30.

I do not believe this problem is down to PlusNet, who are attempting to provide access through an inadequate infrastructure. I am sure this is simply due to the fact that the copper wire network provided by BT-OR is of too poor a quality to allow sufficient data to be transmitted, resulting in package block.

Unless you can give me an assurance that BT-OR will be supplying fibre broadband to this area in the near future, I have no alternative but to switch to another ISP who can provide this service, at least until PlusNet are able to.

I look forward to your response.

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you tried checking at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

using your phone no. or address

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@SludgeIsland wrote:

The problem has not got any better. The broadband connection may be remaining stable, but the internet certainly is not. This afternoon and this evening, the internet connection failed five times between 14.00 and 17.30.

I do not believe this problem is down to PlusNet, who are attempting to provide access through an inadequate infrastructure. I am sure this is simply due to the fact that the copper wire network provided by BT-OR is of too poor a quality to allow sufficient data to be transmitted, resulting in package block.

Unless you can give me an assurance that BT-OR will be supplying fibre broadband to this area in the near future, I have no alternative but to switch to another ISP who can provide this service, at least until PlusNet are able to.

@SludgeIsland If Plusnet can't provide FTTC, no other ISP will be able to (apart from Virgin, who use their own network) - all the others use the BT cables &c, so switching ISP won't help over that.

John
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

@azc wrote:

Have you tried checking at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

using your phone no. or address

Thanks AZC.  Yes, for the last two years it has said 

We're installing the new fibre cabinet and laying the fibre cables to serve your home or business.

You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next five months.
Find out more about the fibre journey.

And still I wait!

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

@jab1 wrote:

@SludgeIsland wrote:

@SludgeIsland If Plusnet can't provide FTTC, no other ISP will be able to (apart from Virgin, who use their own network) - all the others use the BT cables &c, so switching ISP won't help over that.

jab1... You evidently know where I'm coming from, then!  

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

@SludgeIsland I am sorry to hear the problem persists. Are the drops still frequent through the day?

Looks like Fibre may have been recently rolled out to your exchange (see here on the exchange roll out lists). Now that that the exchange is Fibre enabled hopefully the cabinet being upgraded isn't too far off, however it is unlikely to be within the next few months.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

@LaurenB  Thanks for that.  Actually the exchange has been Fibre enabled for some time.  However, my "snout" at BT informs me that cabinet 21 is not on the list to be upgraded in the foreseeable future, due to planning issues.

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

I have finally taken the plunge!  I have switched to Virgin, the only ISP in this area to offer Fibre broadband. 

What I do want to make clear is that I have absolutely no gripe whatsoever with PlusNet.  Their Customer Service teams have been helpful and courteous form the moment I transferred my phone and Broadband from the "other loTT" in 2010.  PlusNet's charges are undisputedly the cheapest and best value on the market.  Unfortunately, the infrastructure supplied by BT is no longer adequate to supply today's internet needs, and BT's refusal to upgrade to FTTC, let alone FTTH in a suburb of London is quite beyond belief.

I am now on a one year contract, but should BT decide within that time to upgrade the infrastructure, at the end of that contract I will have no hesitation in returning to PlusNet.  My mobile (x3) remains with PlusNet, as again, it's good value with excellent service.

Au revoir, PlusNet, but not good bye!  Thanks for trying!