Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection dropping out regularly

agreenberg
Hooked

Internet connection dropping out regularly

Hello,

For the past week or so, my internet connection has been dropping out regularly - it will work for a period and then will stop working for periods of up to a few hours long. I've carried this set of troubleshooting fixes and the problem is persisting. Do you know what next I can do?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Internet connection dropping out regularly

Hi @agreenberg and welcome to the Community Forums.
I'm sorry to hear you're having broadband issues and checking from this side there defiantly seems to be something out of place somewhere.

Our testing however despite us seeing a mass amount of drops in connection which looks to have altered your line settings as a result to try keep the connection stable doesn't narrow down what's initially caused the drops.

The dropping connection:

image15287151462059

The connection settings as a result of this: 

Profile Info: WBC 4M - 9M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Showing banded speeds and high levels of interleaving to help the connection but doesn't help in narrowing down the cause of the drops.

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 9088 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 7270
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 42 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 6
Indicative Line Quality: S Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 1846

I have then placed an order to unbanned the speeds from the "4M - 9M" to uncapped and applied regular interleaving which may result in more drops moving forwards but will greatly help us narrow down the cause of the drops.
Given our various tests this side aren't identifying anything to be cause behind the drops I'd recommend one further check your side before we look at raising a fault and getting an engineer out to investigating further.

The check would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop and speed returns to normal. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

agreenberg
Hooked

Thanks Ben! I'll see if that final test fixes it.

agreenberg
Hooked

Hello,

I'm having trouble with my internet connection again. When I had the previous problem (described above), I plugged the cable into the test/master socket (underneath the main socket), and that solved the issue (and it's been fine since June). However, I'm now having problems again, this time the connection is extremely slow (pages taking minutes to load, etc.). Do you know what else I can be done to solve this problem?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues again.

The connection is testing fine on our end and you should be getting speeds around 8.5mbps which should be more than enough for most pages.

Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
agreenberg
Hooked

Thanks for the reply Matthew.

We are connecting over a wireless connection (and the the wireless connection seems fine, as far as we can tell - it connects easily and shows up as having all four 'bars' of signal strength when you connect). Just so you know, we've tried this on multiple devices and we're having the same issue.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, thanks. Would it be possible for you to test what speeds are like over a wired connection to the router? That's just so we can take WiFi out of the equation altogether - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
teddysmum
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had regular drop outs and unusable speeds, on and off since July. I've done all things asked, even before asking such as filter change (twice) , disconnecting the phone,using the test socket (do anyway), but the analysts dealing with my case keep on changing with each saying the previous settings are incorrect. All say it's unlikely to be the modem.

It looks as though the only resort now is to have an engineer out, but I fear being charged if it is the modem (though techs seem to think it's not and the tv and computers display wifi connection as excellent but access zero)or the fault is not showing during the visit.

I am coming to the end of my broadband (ADSL) offer in the next week or so and am seriously thinking of going back to Sky where I had no problems (this is the second long term lot in two years with PlusNet) and pushing of 18 month minimum terms with 12 month line paid up front deals is off putting as you have to pay 6 months at full price or repay line and have no broadband haggling lever. A12 month contract,which Sky will allow free (despite ads) costs £2 more with PlusNet. (Wouldn't mind an 18 month term if line prepay matched) and Plusnets price fix guarantee is the same with any large  sized company now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection issues.

Are you able to try a different router in case that is the cause of the problem?

Ideally we don't want to send an engineer out unless we're sure the problem isn't with your equipment so it'd be best to cover all bases first.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
teddysmum
Rising Star

I don't have a spare modem, just a Sky one, which I understand wouldn't work. The analysts who have been in contact have all said they don't think it's the modem and having changed filter, then  having a crackle on the line, then being advised to buy new ones (One has removed the crackle, so it was the second filter at fault and the original was fine), know it's not he filter.

Each different analyst says the settings made by the previous one are incorrect,( so who is right ?), but they have no more ideas about what is causing the problem, though tests clearly show one ,so suggested and engineer. However, on my contact ticket, they have not replied for a number of days, despite my sending two messages, now.

TV and laptops show that the wifi is fine, but state that connection between modem and the service is the missing part.  Switching off at the mains and rebooting I sometimes successful, with a decent speed for our line (av 5Mbps) afterwards, but sometimes it takes two attempts to get anything usable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Realistically we can't definitively advise if a router is the cause of the issue or not(Unless it's obviously faulty like a red power light etc) and there's not much we can do to remotely resolve the underlying issue besides increase the signal to noise ratio(SNR) which isn't helping as your connection is still dropping, so in my opinion it's a good idea to try a different router.

Unfortunately Sky routers have been locked and as far as I'm aware, are still locked to their own network.

If you'd like a replacement from us I'd recommend calling our customer options guys on 0800 013 2632 to discuss a new one, as we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge. Or, you could purchase your own router and set it up using the connection details found Here.

Alternatively if you'd like us to arrange an engineer to investigate this, i'd reply to your ticket with your availability giving us a nudge over here when you've done so and we'll be happy to pick it up for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
agreenberg
Hooked

Thanks for the reply Adam, and sorry for the late reply. We've tried it with a wired connection to the router, and the speeds are fine with the wired connection - still very slow on wireless. (In response to the other analyst, Anoush, I'm afraid I can't try it with another router, as I don't have one, but hopefully the fact that it's better with a wired connection is helpful)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us.

If it's fine over a wired connection that points towards the issue being with the wireless side of things

We'd recommend going through the steps here to see if they make a improvement.

Let us know how you get on

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
teddysmum
Rising Star

Gandalf

I've sent you a pm as I'm now desperate after having a fault for over 4 months and being back to square one today,with a 'tech' wanting me to start again with test socket work and  with a message  saying the OR engineer says I have no problem, yet it occurred shortly after he left. He said it must be wifi,yet we ruled all that out by having multiple laptops, ne filters, new modem and now a new internal master box.

The 'tech'said he'd pass my case to faults , but surely it's already with them after all this time.

I've had internet for years with no problems, except one of speed on joining PlusNet 2 years ago and now this since about June.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Gandalf

Thanks for your private message and I'm sorry that you're still experiencing connection problems.

While line tests aren't showing the cause of the problem, something definitely isn't right as your connection is dropping intermittently as well as the signal to noise ratio is very high, which is a setting on the line to try to stabilise the connection by sacrificing speed.

To investigate this further we'll need to arrange another engineer visit, but I've raised an escalation with our suppliers to escalate this with Openreach to complete a certain set of tasks in an effort to resolve the fault.

If you can reply to your fault ticket Here with your availability for another visit I'll be happy to get it booked in for you and take ownership of this moving forward.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet