Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Problem.

ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Internet Speed Problem.

Early on Sunday (I think) I was watching a YouTube video when my internet connexion dropped.  I logged into the router to find it showing Disconnected and clicking Connect didn't seem to do anything.  I therefore restarted it and was then presented with a message something like "We cannot connect you.  Please check your User Name and Password."  I could see that the User Name was right but as the Password was shown as stars re-entered that.  All was then well and I simply put it down as 'one of those things.'

Last night, Tuesday, the same thing happened while listening to a radio programme on the BBC i-Player.

I was out for most of today but when I came home thought that my computer was running like a brick.  It was as bad on both Windows and Linux though the router stats seemed fine — I'm no tin-foil hatter but have slightly redacted them:—

Router Stats - Edited.png

I then tried SpeedTest.net and got this:—

Screenshot.png

I have now rebooted by router by unplugging it but the tests results are the same, in fact SpeedTest.net is now down to 0.6 down and crashes when it tries to test the upload.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on and whether it is within my power to fix it or if it's something at PlusNet's end.

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Internet Speed Problem.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I see your Speedtest.net result is showing as using a test server which appears to be in Blagoevgrad. Bulgaria.

Is there not a closer server.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

@Strat

That struck me as odd.  Further tests have gone through Wolverhampton, Nottingham and Sheffield (where I live).  The highest speed has been 1.02M/s.

@Gel

I'll try the BT Wholesale test tomorrow when I'm at a Ethernet connected PC.  The Plusnet Trouble Shooter didn't help as that seemed to be about the DSL speed, which is fine.

The physical connections haven't changed and given that the two nocturnal outages occurred while I was in bed I can't even have disturbed a poor termination.

If I briefly poke the gravity switch on my 'phone to kill the dial tone there is no noise audible.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll report further tomorrow; it may even cure itself over-night.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@ThePillenwerfer

I also live in Sheffield and find 'London Structured Communications' gives good results.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star

After posting last night my internet speed went up to around 1.5Mb/s, which was perfectly usable, and by the time I was settling-down for the night things were back to normal and still are.

Screenshot-1.png

I don't pretend to understand how DSL works as I've only been using it for a few weeks having previously being a Virgin victim customer.  It seems as if I could communicate with PlusNet fine but not the internet.  I'm also puzzled why after a few weeks of reliable operation I've suddenly started to have problems having made no changes to either my hardware or software.

The only thing I can think is that my speed has been gradually heading up and has now reached the stage of unreliability.  Hopefully this will back off if so.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @ThePillenwerfer,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the connection issues have caused. I'm glad to hear that things look to have settled down now - please let us know if you experience any further connection problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team