cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Dropouts

nicknevison
Dabbler

Internet Dropouts

Have just moved into a new place and noticed recently i am getting a bunch of internet drop outs, where i just get errors that it took to long for the web page to respond.

Have tried the recommend fixes below:
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

But with the issue being so intermittent it hard to tell if anything worked or just lucky that it happened during a none issue point.

Also tried the recommended line checker at:

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do

But this just showed my Download as 0 Mb and my Upload as 0.45Mb, tried the 3rd stage but didn't like it with my connection.

Can anyone check my line to see if they can spot what could be causing the issues? also have tried to run packet loss tests but don't seem to work with my line?

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Internet Dropouts

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Our tests aren't showing any issues and, apart from a few drops, your connection looks stable:

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here.

Please let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Thanks for the quick reply, i only ever use Ethernet, for everything but my phone, i did all the checks from an etherneted PC or Ethernet Laptop (when trying different socket)

Also the internet fully dropped 09/04 at 8:15 pm with "could not bring up link" and the connectivity test showing the attached.

Thanks

Nick
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Is the phone line noisy?

That report is odd it implies sync but unsuccessful negotiation of the connection. Which router was that from?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi Townman

Listened to the line while it was dropped and down and the phone line was fine constant tone with no noise.

Router is TG582n

Thanks

Nick
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @nicknevison,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I've tested your line and the test isn't picking up a fault, however there are a high number of errors on both the downstream and the upstream. For reference, this test result is as follows:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: XXXXXXXXXXXX17 Service ID: XXXXXXXXXXXX07
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 10-04-2018 12:29:55
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 24.3 45.0
SNR Margin: 6.2 7.3
Errored Seconds: 5 7
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 95 186
Speed: 952 7888

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 7392 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5913
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 11
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 16
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

As you've carried out the troubleshooting checks and you've advised you're using a TG582n, it's looking like the issue lies with the router. I've sent you a new router to try - please let us know if you're still experiencing any problems once you've connected this up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi EmilyD

Thanks will keep an eye out for the router and let you guys know how that works

Thanks

Nick
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Nick.

Fingers crossed that improves things for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi

Thank you the new router,have had it plugged in since Monday and it does seem to have addressed the router dropout and full loss of connections, but the line for internet still is being very noisy, Ping, Speed, etc are fluctuating massively.

On most games i play the ping will just go from 30 ping to 200 constantly going back and forth, normally it should be a stable number if high or low but should be stable.

Is there anything else with the line that could be causing this fluctuating?

Thanks

Nick 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @nicknevison,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. I'm glad to hear that plugging in the new router seems to have stopped the random connection drops that you have been experiencing.

I've tested the line again today and I can still see that there are errored seconds showing up on the connection and when these flare up I can see that it would cause the problems that you've reported.

In this situation we would typically like to apply interleaving to your line, however as you like to use the services for online gaming, these may only cause further ping issues, so in this situation I am going to raise the signal strength to see if the intermittent errors persist.

Please reboot your router in a hour and if you are still seeing any intermittent issues, please plug your router into the test socket and run a wired speed test and let us know what results the test returns. If there are still issues, we will need to raise this as a speed fault and look into getting an engineer out to investigate further.

Please let us know how this goes and get back in touch if you have any further queries or issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi @TheMightyAJ

Thanks, rebooted the router yesterday and will monitor it and see how it goes.

Thanks

Nick

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Things are looking good so far from our point of view:

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately have got home and tried it tonight and the signal has become weak again, did some speed tests and the Ping has shot up massively and the download speed has over halfed.

Did this at 10:30 at night to avoid peak time, also made sure to ping the same test server as before.

Tried giving the router a reboot and didn't seem to help, line has not dropped or cutout but is going slowly.

Thanks

Nick

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you Nick.

I've reset your line as the signal to noise ratio seems to be too high given that your connection seems stable.

Can you let us know how things go after about an hour?

It might also be worth trying the steps here to rule out any internal wiring affecting your connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nicknevison
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

Sorry for the late reply had a really busy week and was only able to fully test it this weekend, the dropouts seem far better now, but still having issues with it, with the connection not loading or just stopping, it doesn't fully dropout but does pause.

Also tried the the testing from main socket, and issues seem to still persist unfortunately.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Thanks

Nick