Did you mean: 

Intermittent speed issues.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Intermittent speed issues.

Hi Chris,
The post with all of the links for this kind of information gathering is here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - it is a really useful one to put into a favourites folder, possibly with all the links contained therein too!
PN (TG) Router DSL stats: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0 - if necessary you will be invited to log on to the router
PN Current line speed (Profile): https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed - if necessary you will be invited to log on to the user portal
Quote from: deejayburnout
I added an additional time server but that didn't work either. My firewall settings on the router are turned off completely.

It is the PN supplied firewall, not the router's firewall which is the potential issue - see here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall - if necessary you will be prompted to log on to the user portal.  Mine is set to low.  If you change it, you will need to drop and re-establish the PPP session for the change to become effective.
If it is set to HIGH NTP will not work.
Quote from: Firewall
Note: The 'High' setting will prevent the use of VPN software, Active FTP sessions and software which lets you to synchronise your computer's time using an external source. If you want to use these applications, switch to the 'Low' setting.

Good luck with the elimination of the internal wiring as a potential source of issues.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deejayburnout
Grafter

Again thanks for your help Kevin.  Wink
Ok here we go.
Router is plugged in as follows
MASTER SOCKET - ADSL Filter - router supplied cable - router - LAN cable to PC.
stats
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:52:10
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 80.96 / 606.56
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 19.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 10.2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 19 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0

Postcode:
Phone exchange:
   KINGLASSIE
Estimated line speed:
   7Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-03-04 13:29:14
Current line speed:
   7 Mb
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.86 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7 Mbps
I have my PN suppled firewall set to LOW

not much readings as of yet...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris,
This is really good in some ways, not that it resolves anything!  Can you please clarify what kind of faceplate is on you master socket?  See here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml ; Does it just have a single 'hole' for an ordinary phone plug, into which you have plugged the filter?
Is the extension lead plugged into the 'phone side' of the filter or does that wire run off the back of the face plate?
Is any apparatus at the end of the extension wire fitted with a filter?
Are you able to leave the set up as is for the time being?  It would be good to get router stats setup to monitor the SNRM and to keep an eye on the error counts.
The current line stats at the master socket are little different to those reported in responses #3 and #31, which to me suggests that there is (assuming nothing comes from the above questions) nothing being contributed by the internal wiring.  The latency on the line (BQM graph) is diabolically bad - this could be exchange congestion or the consequence of a high level of retries on the line.  I am hoping that the routerstats plotting might shine some light on this.
NTP / Firewall - you said that your PN firewall is set to low - is that "is now low" or "was already low"?  Can you check the router logs and see if NTP is being successful?  in a CMD (dos) prompt can you try to "ping ntp.plus.net" and confirm that you get a response.  If you do not, please note the error and we can follow up on that.

@DCT,
Where next chaps?  This link is synching below the maximum for ADSL(1) yet has plenty of SRNM headroom (10dB) and the line's attenuation (18dB) suggests it should go like a steam train if only ADSL2 (21CN) were available.  So what's wrong?
Though I understand that "speed banding" is an ADSL2 (21CN?) concept, is this line somehow banded / capped / fixed to 8096kbps?
What are the likely causes of the poor latency?  Exchange congestion?  Remember this is a Scottish out of the way market 1 exchange with no 21CN serving around 670 residents - I bet it is a bit short on elastic bands!  Crazy
Is this now a go direct to http://faults.plus.net or are there other things to be checked out first - full copper line test to check balance etc.?

Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I suspect the speed may not be reaching 8128 due to interleaving being in use. I think older equipment had a limit of 7616 for interleaved ADSL1, but newer equipment may allow higher rates.
Difficult to determine if interleaving is really enabled for the downstream since all the stats posted have zero FEC errors for the downstream, but one of the stats does report 19 FEC errors on the upstream.
The telnet command :xdsl info expand=enabled reports the interleaving depth, probably so does the routerstats program.