Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent speed issues.

deejayburnout
Grafter

Re: Intermittent speed issues.

Just done quiet line test and it is ok.
If i get a sec tonight i will try the test socket.
this mornings speeds. a bit slower than normal

another test 3 mins later

why does it vary so much over same server????
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris,
It varies because it is variable!
The only thing which is constant is your raw bit synch rate, which as I mentioned before is a bit below the maximum possible, the reason for which is not yet known.  We need to see your router stats when connected to the test socket.  If that shows full max synch speed then there is something wrong with your extension wiring, which might be adequate for phones, but not ideal for the best broadband performance.
The (variable) speed tests which you have been conducting in effect calculate the speed by measuring how long it takes to transfer a known size of data from the server to your PC and the PC to the server.  There are a lot of factors which impact the time taken to transfer the data...
Raw speed and available capacity of the LAN infrastructure - PC network card / LAN connection (WiFi, Ethernet, dLAN etc.) / router throughput - up to this point any other concurrent use of the LAN by the test PC or other devices will detract from the capacity to move data and therefore depress the data speed test result.  In particular, WiFi networks tend to be a bottle-neck as they are servicing whatever is switched on, thus they might not have the capacity to service the test data transfer as a priority over other WiFi activity.
Error correction over heads - the router has to successfully 'hand off' the data transmission to the exchange equipment without error.  To do this some of the available raw synch speed is used to encode error correction data, also retransmission of uncorrectable data further deminishes effective data speed.  Errors can be induced by electrical noise picked up by the wires between the router and the exchange - that includes: the router cable to the socket; the adsl filter; if it is an extension socket the internal wires to the master socket; the d-side phone wire to the cabinet (including over head wires, junction boxes and under ground cables); the e-side wire from the cabinet to the exchange frame; in-exchange wiring to the ADSL line card.  Damp weather, other users on adjacent wires (cross talk) and night time MW interference can also increase transmission errors.
Shared network capacity - from the exchange your data is sent over BT's shared network before being passed into PN's network.  It then passes out of PN's network to shared network(s) to route to the speed test service.  Each of the shared networks can at times be slower than others, especially when something big is happening across the Internet - patch Tuesday, a major product announcement / release.  Though the slowest part of the end to end transmission is likely to be your line, the shared infrastructure used by millions of users can have an impact too.
So back to your concern, the focus needs to be on the wire from the back of the router to the ADSL card in the exchange.  Before BTOR can be engaged without the risk of you being charged for no fault found, it is essential that sources of error within your property are eliminated.  This can be best confirmed by plugging the router into the master socket and revisiting the router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deejayburnout
Grafter

@townman
Thanks for the info. very informative.
I would like to plug my router into the master socket but i will need to get a longer Ethernet cable than i have to try and connect via cable to get a speedtest.
my setup is this so far.
master plug >>>>> 5m telephone extension cable >>>>>filter>>>>>>router>>>>>10m Lan cable >>>>>>> PC.
due to the location of my master socket and the fact that my wife hates cables, i have had to place the router under the stairs in our cupboard, then run the lan cable into the kitchen where my PC is. ( the cable is through the partiton, under the kitchen units and behind the kickplates)
not ideal i know but will probably be limiting my speeds.
i
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Biggest no-no there is the 5m telephone extension cable. You should consider replacing that with CAT5 cable connected to RJ11 plugs at either end, so the chain goes like this:
Master socket <-> Filter <-> 5m CAT5 cable <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
Effectively, you are replacing the short DSL cable with a much longer one, with the appropriate plugs on either end. That's the set-up I've used here since my ADSL was installed in 2001 and although I've had issues, my connection is (mostly) stable.
This is the kind of thing I mean...
Other on-line shopping sites are available Cool
deejayburnout
Grafter

Thanks for the link. looks far better than my telephone extension cable. will this increase my speed any? why is it better than the telephone extension cable???
I would like to do as you say, however our telephone is next to our TV and the router and the filter is in the cupboard behind it, if i done as you recommended i would have to resite my telephone and not sure if the mrs would be up for it.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is all to do with the cable construction and the electrical characteristics on high frequency signals.
Flat, untwisted, unshielded wires have little effect on the lower frequencies used by voice, so they are ok for the phone.  When used for the higher data frequencies, they look like a big capacitor / aerial and therefore degrade the signal.  If you have to put a router on an extension lead make that lead the best quality you can find / afford.  Ideally you need the router as close to the master socket as you can get it.
Run a phone extension cable to wherever you want it for the phone.
Run Ethernet cabe to wherever you want data connects if wifi does not do it for you.
If you (SWMBO) do not want to run Ethernet cable around the place, consider using Ethernet over power adapters, such as Devolo.  I use the wifi version of these and they are stunning.  I have the wifi ap adjacent to the TV and use the Ethernet ports for the TV and the PVR I have just acquired.  My ADSL is a mere 5.5M but the set-up is adequate to watch Top Gear in HD with (aside from two pauses) no stuttering.  Expensive on bandwidth though - 850M for an hour's viewing.
Router plugged into master socket starts to place any residual issues into the hands of BTOR, which is where you need to be to progress this issue - not in my back garden - mate!
Remember though there s only a small increase in synch speed to be had here on the 20CN service available.
Do you know what are the plans for high speed Internet in your rural community?  You could consider lobbying your parish council (or the Scottish equivalent).  Some English Parish Councils have been very successful in lobbying the Chairman of BT to get improvements for their local community.  Your exchange is on old technology with no forecast for 21CN or fibre - its just not good enough!  That said, I have 21CN and can get nowhere near your 8M synch, some would be envious to have your problem!  Crazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

^ What he said about the cable.
You can leave your phone where it is and just use the phone extension plugged in to the filter as below, so there are now two cables running from the phone socket - 1 to the router and the other to the phone.

/ <-> 5m CAT5 cable <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
Master socket <-> Filter
                        \ <-> existing phone extension <-> phone

So it just needs one extra cable and a little rearranging of the filter position.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Jaggies

/ <-> 5m CAT5 cable <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
Master socket <-> Filter

I was thinking more like...

/ <-> standard short cable <-> router <-> long ethernet cable as required <-> PC
Master socket <-> Filter

To eliminate the possibility of internal interference, the router needs to be as close to the master socket as possible.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, but that would mean the router would need to be relocated out of its cupboard...
Either way, it is bound to be a big improvement in performance by eliminating the phone extension from the broadband.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Hi all
Here is my latest progres
i now have this cable setup
Telephone socket <-> Filter <-> 10m CAT5 cable <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
this is the speed test i got

i then tried the following
Master socket <-> Filter <-> 10m CAT5 cable <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
speedtest result

i then done this ( my original setup )

Master socket <-> 10m telephone extension <-> Filter <-> router <-> ethernet cable <-> PC
speed test

do not seem to get major speed increase using the CAT5 cable ( but i will be running this as the standard when i get a chance over weekend to do job tidily. )
however the master socket seems to improve slightly.
maybe that is the best i can get.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting results, however not comprehensive!
In situations such as this, the router stats are much more informative as they report the raw performance of the technology.  I would consider installing RouterStats and undertaking continuous monitoring, looking at SNRM variability and error counts.
Even though you have good SNRM headroom your line synch rate is just a little short of the maximum you can get on ADSL / 20CN.  Further your actual data speed is 10% less than your profile.  This suggests to me that your are picking something up from somewhere.  Can you please get router stats for your current configuration and then get the same for your router plugged directly into the master socket / test port.
This will inform us of what (if any) difference your internal wiring makes.  If it is nil, then one could proceed to looking elsewhere for your slightly short of best line performance.

deejayburnout
Grafter

i have installed router stats and will see how i get on.
speeds seems stable around the 6mb d/l at the moment
deejayburnout
Grafter

Connection is the worst its ever been now.
The router has a brain fart just after my last post and just stopped working. all connections stopped and i couldn't even access the device config page via the web browser. i had to do a full reset on the thing.
I had to setup the router again and its just not been right.
it has times where is ok then 20 mins later, my online gaming goes all wrong and i loose connection.
i done a TBB ping test and over the last day this is what i have had.

my ping has went from around 55ish to around 80ish most of the time and as you can see from the graph it can be higher.
here is a bad speedtest.

BT speedtest
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.89 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.06 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7 Mbps
will my line need reset???
i have attached some other screen grabs that might be of use to those who are knowledgeable

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
The most useful set of stats (DSL connection) are missing from your attachments.
One thing which is shown by the data attached is that you cannot connect to the time servers, which though not essential is none the less a hindrance.  Can you please advise of the PN firewall setting level from the portal?  IIRC you need to be on LOW to allow NTP connectivity.
The BQM is horrendous!  I think to move this forwards and eliminate internal wire issues, we need to see how this performs with the router in the master socket, with no long cables (of any kind) between the MASTER socket and the router.  Until this has been profiled, it is not sensible to consider getting BTOR in to check out your phone line.
If this is not practical, you could consider moving to raising a fault here - http://faults.plus.net - however you risk being charged for the BTOR call out if they find no fault in the external wiring.

deejayburnout
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Townman
I was looking for the DSL stats but for the life if me I could not find them. I have has them before but I keep getting lost in the many settings. Where are they again?Huh
I added an additional time server but that didn't work either. My firewall settings on the router are turned off completely.
What I will do tonight is try and plug the router in as follows.
master socket - ADSL Filter - router supplied cable - router - LAN cable to PC.
from this I will post as much stats as possible. I will not raise the fault ticket unless I can be 100% certain that its no my internal setup/wires that as causing issues.
thanks
Chris