cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent orange light.

JohnnyFP

Intermittent orange light.

Hi, I have my fibre bb since Monday and today (12.8) my router (hub one) keeps cutting off. The two lights go orange for about 15 seconds, then the hub light goes off followed shortly by the power light turning blue. This is happening about once every 5-10 minutes.
12 REPLIES 12
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Intermittent orange light.

This could be down to PN by way of letting the router to 'settle in'. Mine was doing the same thing and when I queried it, I was told not to switch it off for approx 10 days. It's done to make sure you get a nice and stable connection at the speed you've signed up for. I could be wrong about this but with mine, after 10 days the router was stable and so was the speed.

No doubt someone else will come along and say whether this is right or not, but that was my experience. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't believe that at all, there is no 10 day settling period for FTTC, it starts at the maximum speed and DLM will take action if it is unstable and reduce speeds after 24 to 48 hours. There may be a couple of connection drops but they shouldn't be happening every 5-10 minutes. I think the OP may have a fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems

Things don't look too good:

My tests aren't identifying a definitive cause of that.

Can you run through the checks here and report the fault to us here if you still have problems.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@RealAleMadrid

I can only go on my own experience with the first 10 days I was connected. My router light was doing exactly the same thing...going orange 6 or 7 times a day, sometimes a lot more than that. I was told over chat applet to leave router switched on for at least 10 days for things to 'settle down' and sure enough after 10 or 11 days router (and connection) was stable.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Well that wasn't my experience of my upgrade to FTTC. I had a resync after a couple of days when G.Inp was activated, and that was it. I have a feeling that support use this wait 10 days nonsense as an excuse to do nothing until the 10 days have elapsed. After your multiple drops are your speeds at the maximum expected for the line as I would expect many drops to cause DLM to significantly reduce your speeds.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I came over from TalkTalk on the 40/2 package. I was getting (withTalkTalk) a download speed of 15 to 16 and they didn't sort it. I switched to PN and the speed was hitting 33 to 34, but after I was told on the chat to give it 10 days I'm now getting speeds around 37 and sometimes a little over 38 which is a lot better than TT's connection.

JohnnyFP

I cannot do any tests for the next fortight as I am away. I am retyping this response as the router went off just I submitted it. It has gone off three times since.
Do I leave the router on for the next 13 days.
BTW what do you mean 'not looking too good'?
JohnnyFP

Thanks for all replies.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JohnnyFP wrote:
I cannot do any tests for the next fortight as I am away.

No problems, let us know if you still have issues.

@JohnnyFP wrote:
Do I leave the router on for the next 13 days.

That's up to you. Personally, I'd leave it on.

@JohnnyFP wrote:
BTW what do you mean 'not looking too good'?

Yesterday your connection was on and off continually. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

On fibre there is no 10 day settling in period - that applies to ADSL only. Sadly some front line staff do not know this and provide the wrong advice.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@JohnnyFP Was there any uploading taking place?

If so there is a firmware upgrade due to be released which fixes an issue where the router would resynch when uploading.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Browni - That's a good shout, apologies I missed that.

I've added the account to the open Problem now, hopefully it's sorted by the time they get back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet