Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent drop outs, day of no service at all and now 0.4MB download speeds

FIXED
MDidcock
Dabbler

Intermittent drop outs, day of no service at all and now 0.4MB download speeds

What is going on of late?? Had drop outs for weeks told it was my router so paid for a new one - no change.

No service at all Friday and ever since has been around 0.4MB - worse than my old dial up.

Had to loose a days pay to wait for a BT engineer  - he didn't show or even call so no further forwards.

Been a loyal customer for years and on a rolling monthly contract yet told its £30 to cancel followed by an email saying its no £49.99 !

No one ever calls back and I am spending too much of my life in call queues only to be pushed from technical to cancellations and back and forth

To add insult to injury the TV advert had just been on crowing about excellent customer service....you couldnt make it up.

I am hundreds of pounds out of pocket (router day off etc) and still have 0.4MB when I am expecting 8MB yet am required to pay to leave. Anyone else had a similar situation?  I am just off to hit the social media world and give a real account of teh Award Winning Customer Service and loyalty.

29 REPLIES 29
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Intermittent drop outs, day of no service at all and now 0.4MB download speeds

Assuming you don't want to give up on the internet altogether you should not cancel but migrate.  Choose which ISP you want to migrate to and sign up with them, they'll do the rest.  In most cases you won't have to pay the £30 cancellation fee.

MDidcock
Dabbler

Re: Intermittent drop outs, day of no service at all and now 0.4MB download speeds

The service issues over the last few months coupled with the issues with comms to/from PN this weekend considered I have had enough.

The BT infrastructure is going to to stretched and stretched as new homes are built so considering options away from this with one of the rural  FTTP providers.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It sounds like you've been treated very badly

but .......

Bad weather has a huge impact on pplus net and  Openreach and their Ability to fix faults .

nevertheless 

If an engineer was booked and you were told to stay in and he didn't show up or call then you are due compensation from your provider. 

Updates to your problem / fault should be listed on your account. If not then you've grounds for complaint  

Aside from replacing your router have you followed all advice given to you by plus net for testing your line and the wiring in your home? 

MDidcock
Dabbler

@runhare

All fault finding undertaken as PN requests -several times in fact !

After calls to PN I was promised a returned call yesterday which didn't materialise - at least the poor customer service is consistent!

I dont think the weather is an issue I suspect it was the works by Openreach opposite my property the day before the outage.  The bigger issue is the total lack of communication from PN and OR - the all have phones so if they changed their minds and didnt need access to the property why not ring ?  They are quick enough to make contact with offers and if you ask to cancel it is nigh on impossible to get them off the phone .

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi @MDidcock

One of the Plus Net staff who inhabit these forums should take a look into your complaint.

I have found PN usually do keep their promises to communincate with customers within a reasonable time scale, and are quite pro active in that respect, but then there will be cases when for whatever reason problems are not followed up.

BTW - I didn't mean that your local weather was the reason for your fault but may have had an impact on the way it is dealt with. Bad weather across the UK will lead to a great many more problems that both PN and BT have to deal with. In winter the pressure will always be higher to get faults fixed no matter where or how they are caused.

MDidcock
Dabbler

Hi Runhare

Thanks for keeping an eye on this - more than PN seem to want to do !

All that seems to happen is a pointless response to my question such that it appears ' closed '.  Wising up to this I am know responding to each merely stating that it isn't rectified.

The latest instalment - 7 days in is that they have resolved the problem without requiring access to my property.. if 2 mbps is resolved then yes they have !  It remains shockingly slow shockingly poor akin to the level and standards of customer service I am receiving.  An agents promised they would call me back so I messaged confirming this.....5 days ago and still no call!

I am now told its £49 to leave yet am refusing to pay this until compensation for my losses is agreed - guess what a wall of silence.  So I am now in limbo...cancellations say speak to Technical to resolve and Technical say speak to Cancellations.

MDidcock
Dabbler

Just to evidence my posts I have just run the attached test.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi

how was this speed test conducted? 

Was it a wired test and are you connected your router to the test socket of your master socket?

its recommended that you conduct this test and follow the instructions to the letter . Your results will be recorde by BT , plus net will be able to see the results and if a problem is found it should be followed up by opening a fault. 

MDidcock
Dabbler

Its via CAT 6 cable wired directly to the router with a 300mm long lead.

I understand about the test socket yet all previous (historic) tests I have done have been under these conditions so for a true comparison I ran them exactly the same way.

Just tried again - same conditions, same test site, same router and same number of people on line (being 1) and it suggests Plusnet have run another fixed as its dropped again to an unusable level - see attached.

Ping 3471 ms !

Download 0.20 mbps !!

Upload 0.05 mbps

Sadly plusnet staff on here seem to be ignoring this issue as is evidenced by the total lack of response or input. Award winning customer service as its very best 

I appreciate that I only pay for 8mb but really 0.20 is a joke and a farce, as are Plusnet.  The lack of input and wall of silence is just confirming this.

niallcampbell
Grafter

Have being trying for the last hour to respond to this but because the service keeps dropping in and out I couldn't!

It is so frustrating this service/ no service issue - literally for seconds but continuous. I have an engineer coming out on Tues and hope to get some answers, so tired of the intermittent drop outs! I also bought brand new (expensive) router but still same issues and my kids are constantly at me for how poor the internet is.

Hope it gets sorted for you and all the others that seem to be talking about the same issue - seems to suggest there is a problem with service provider end - BT line? Whatever it is, it's costing me too much money and I am seriously thinking about looking elsewhere.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi @MDidcock

lets see Ican offer you some further advice and maybe get things kick started.  

if for some reason Plus Net tech support have closed your initial fault - assuming incorrectly that all is now fixed- then you won't have an active fault ticket open . This may have been a mistake - not down to you - but if you're waiting for some one from plus net to contact you there's no guarantee they will unless you raise a new fault.

Likewise as I understand it there's no obligation for Plus Net staff to respond to fault problems on these community forums. Although they often do, it seems to me they do so from their own voilition rather than it being part of their actual job role . Perhaps  @Gandalf or @LaurenB could put me right if I'm wrong ! 

You  can raise a fault on line or on the  phone or by using web chat . There's no guaranteed way to do this quickly , you will just have to be persistent and choose a time of day when support isn't busy. (Having said that when I have raised problems in the past their response has always been quite rapid why am I different you may well ask?.) 

By the very nature of internet technology it is very fragile and can easily go wrong for many reasons and problems can be difficult to fix so usually plus net and other isps leave tickets open for quite some time after the fault appears to have been fixed. It's unclear why yours has been closed. 

I hope someone contacts you soon and helps you sort out your problem . My advice is to be patient , be clear and firm and most of all persistent! But keep your cool and give the support staff  time as they do have a very difficult job. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

@niallcampbell:

hi there.  Can I suggest you start up your own thread as it's highly likely that the reason for your problem is different? . Although you do have an engineer coming which indicates that the fault lies within lines or hardware within BT's network over which only they have any control. 

Same advice too,. Be clear , be persistent and firm. Take the name of the person you deal with each time ( but don't post it on the forums ! ) 

Good luck. 

niallcampbell
Grafter

Apologies if I have committed a forum faux pas! Obviously new and saw the thread re intermittent drop outs ... I know for next time.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

No problem, no faux pas @niallcampbell

Good luck getting sorted. .