cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent/Very slow speeds, especially whilst gaming.

Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Intermittent/Very slow speeds, especially whilst gaming.

Hi,
I'm experiencing a weird problem. I mainly use the Internet for online gaming (xbox live), but randomly and without notice I suddenly get alot of lag (without sounding condescending; the game becomes very slow and unresponsive, and I can see the connection or ping drop to it's lowest point).
It will do this until I reset the router. I've tried to pin point a time of day, or an amount of time BEFORE it happens but I can't find any pattern.
I've looked on the fault troubleshooter and it says to recommend a new router, which I don't have.
Another odd problem is that I can check my line speed whilst playing, and I'm getting around 6mbps which is more than enough to play comfortably, but I'm lagging like hell online. Other times, I can actually see my connection drops to around 0.5mbps, which would explain the lag, but still not WHY it's happening.
I can confirm that no one else is downloading or consuming alot of bandwidth whilst I play.
I don't know what to do!
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thankyou,
Jordan.
PS I was estimated a 10-17mb line speed, which was then averaged out at 9mbps, but now I barely achieve 6.
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Intermittent/Very slow speeds, especially whilst gaming.

HI Jordan,
I'm just looking into that now and identified a potential issue which I will attempt to resolve. I'll keep you informed.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jordan,
Seems ok. How does 13000k sound? Because that's what your profile will be within the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Joe,
First off thanks for replying, means alot! Just to clarify, was there a problem on my line? I just did a quick speed test and I'm
Averaging about 2mbps atm? How did you mean by 13000k?
Havent tried gaming yet but will let you know.
Thanks again,
Jordan.
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi again,
My Internet now has dropped to barely nothing. 0.2mbps and falling 😕
Thanks,
Jordan.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Jordan,
It has dropped slightly. Your profile is now 11000K (11Mbps) and I have just ran some line checks and can't see anything that would stop you getting this. Have a look here to troubleshoot.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Joe,
I have just double checked your troubleshooting tips again and everything seems fine. Seems like a fault needs to be raised, how do I do this?
Also since my profile has been regraded I cannot AT ALL play online, and general internet usage is very sluggish. Im still only achieving around 1mbps.
How long will this go on for?
thanks,
Jordan.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jor,
You can click here to raise a fault. As for how long it will go on for I couldn't say. Like I said before all tests currently indicate you should be receiving much better speeds. Are you connected with ethernet or wireless?
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Jo
Thanks again for your replies. My xbox is linked directly to my router via Ethernet. I tried doing a speed test using the BT speedtester as recommended on the troubleshooting page, but I think the connection is so low it can't register anything and keeps saying that there's an error.
I will try the fault raising, and see what happens then.
Could it be my router?
Jordan
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jordan,
Yes definitely raise a fault. It could be the router, have you another one you can try? Right now it could be any number of things.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Jo,
Just been using my brothers router, and he problem persists I am getting 8mbps now on the line using both routers, however online the connection still keeps dropping.
Gonna try raising a fault now, see what happens!
Any other suggestions?
Jordan.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Definitely raise a fault. At least you have tried the router now. Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Jo,
Sorry to be a pain but how exactly do i raise a fauklt? I get to the part of the problem, i select "slow speeds" then it says check broadband light, I select that its solid, it says can my router connect, I select yes, and it says your broadband is fixed? It does this aswell when I select "my connection keepss dropping"?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Jordan,
I've just been looking into that and the reason it's taking you down that route is because your router is not connected at home, so the faults checker detected no connection and treated the fault accordingly. You will be able to raise it once you have you connection up at home.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Ahhhh probably because I still have my brothers router plugged in!
Thanks Jo!