cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Disconnections - one month 2 engineers, not solved

andynaomi

Intermittent Disconnections - one month 2 engineers, not solved

I thought I would post this on the forum to see if anyone has experience anything similar to me. The fault is open and logged with Plusnet, but is taking ages to be resolved.
A brief history:
7th August: Olympic super saturday. Can't donwload anything from iplayer, connection is slow. Its been like this and the DSL line dropping out for the past week or so. It happened last month too and seemed to sovle itself - but now I'm ringing plusnet to register a fault. Because of the disconnection, speed becomes basically non existent - verified with bt.speedtester.com. Used direct connection to router (eliminate wireless issues), changed micro filter and cable, direct into socket etc etc.
18th August. Plusnet do some tests and increase the SNR (signal to noise ratio) or interleaving or something or other and tell me i now have a stable connection. Well yes of course - for the past 2 days. I ring again to say its intermittent as I have a load of disconnects during the following couple of days, and i nbetween very slow or 0 speed.
30th August: Openreach engineer pays me a visit. He says the Pair Quality Test was a marginal fail quote: "pqt tested 96% on disc cap so pr re terminated at pcp and at dp3531... now pqt tests 100%". So he went up the pole, and in the green box and re-attached the wires - slightly better test. plusnet say it is fixed, but it does nothing to improve the speed or the amount of disconnects.
Start of sept: I make an official complaint. They offer me 2 months free internet and a refund of everything from 7th August. Fair enough, but I'd rather have the problem fixed.
This week having a slightly better connection - 6mbps that works (rather than 13mbps that doesn't) Still having lots of disconnects - i.e. 20-30 within a 12 hour period. Booked another engineer.
6th Sept: Openreach pay another visit. Does the pair test again, can't find any problems. Installs a new socket, with a dsl socket so I can bin the new micro filter i just bought. ARRRRGH!! Tells me my speed is being limited and will try and boost it. TELLS ME HE HAS NOT SEEN ANY OF MY HISTORY OF THE FAULT FROM PLUSNET!!! WHAT?!! WHY NOT?
8th Sept: Back to the beginning. Having turned the SNR back the other way I'm now connecting at 13MBps - but actually its MUCH MUCH slower than when the speed was listed at 6MBps, and I've had almost FIFTY disconnects over the weekend. Ridiculous. This visit made it worse!
9th Sept. Back on phone to plusnet. They can't do anything on Sunday night. Tells me its data protection that the Openreach engineer can't see my plusnet log. WHAT? But you can give me my address and my phone number? I don't think so. Come on.
So what is going on? Everything from my computer, router, internal cabling, external cable to green box is fine - but I am still experiencing hours of disconnects every 15-30 minutes, meaning after this my speed tends to be unusably slow. I'd have signed up to cable broadband already, but I'm not likely to be around in this house to see out a 12month contract, so I've got no choice than to stick with a BT line.
Oh in the middle of this I had been moved over to the 21st C network (ADSL 2+ I think). Made sod all difference.
This seems to be very similar to my issue: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/yet-another-Unstable-connection-and-speed-drop...
Good honest broadband from Yorkshire, but its rubbish down here in Gloucestershire. I think I need to bin my 2008 SWFC shirt with Plusnet plastered across it....
Any ideas?
16 REPLIES 16
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Intermittent Disconnections - one month 2 engineers, not solved

Hi andynaomi,
Welcome to the community forum.
I can see that the faults team are looking into this for you. Your connection was dropping regularly, although today this does appear to be more stable today.
Our faults team will continue to look into this for you and will get this resolved ASAP. If you need further assistance with this I would be happy to help and chase anything up.
Chris
millinx21

Hi andynaomi,
Yes, I am also having the same issues. Just to check it isn't a geographical anomaly. I live in Ramsgate, Kent.
My 'situation' has been ongoing for over 45+ days now, although unlike you I haven't been offered any refund... maybe I should should be more forceful! lol
Anyway, I moved to a new address in June, and decided to take Plusnet with me. My new address had it's wiring for telephone cut, so arranged for a line to be installed at the same time.
In July I noticed that the line started to lose connection and speed, but being an optomist (lazy), decided to wait and see if it resolved itself. It did not!
So, 1st of August I registered a fault with them.
Cutting a long story short, I have had 4 engineers visit now, to the point that they apparently did a complete re-wiring job. Now this did increase my speeds from around 6Mbs to 11Mbs, and after the last engineers visit, I did have some stability for a few days.
Then low and behold, last night the drops started all over again  Undecided
As before I seem to have like 48 hours of a reasonable service, then 48 hours of constant line drops (eg. 52 drops in 12 hours).
So although I would like to say there is a resolve to this, despite all the attempts made so far on my line, it soon messes up and goes back to an unbearable service!
The last message I left asked for a result within 10 days, or I refuse to pay the bill (after 45 days of this, I don;t see why I should pay for this service!).
I have also found out that my local cabinet will be FTTC enabled by the end of this month, so Im thinking of just taking fibre optic with another company, and mentioned that also on my message!
I also am now so fed up with this, I registered with the forums, to see who else was being affected, and was rather sad and slightly relieved it wasn't just me!
Sorry for the long rant, but it is good to talk to someone else in a similar situation!
I really hope our issues are sorted out soon, and will keep an update on this thread of mine and plusnets further actions.
Good luck  Wink
Edit: Forgot to say, when my previous engineers have been round, I have the plusnet ticket, with all there line tests etc on the screen, so they see exactly what plusnet have found with tests etc. They were surprised at the amount of info avsailable, but helped them a lot, well, as far as they can fix!
I do have a theory about there being a fault on the 'profile' updates plusnet send down the line being either faulty or some error in the protocol, as obviously it is no error on the line or my router, and they surely can't want to send yet ANOTHER engineer to re-wire my house again! lol. When I spoke to Plusnet yesterday, they did mention a profile update on my line, which somehow messed it up for a bit, then 4 hours later it started dropping again. Anyway, put that in my last comment, so will wait and see what they say Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: millinx21
When I spoke to Plusnet yesterday, they did mention a profile update on my line, which somehow messed it up for a bit

"Profile updates" (or a lack of them) are the Achilles heel of Plusnet.  After a fault has been remedied they cause your actual download speed to fail to improve for several days.  But they have nothing to do with provoking router disconnections.
I once visited a house where the router would disconnect every time you turned on a particular computer.  It would not just disconnect and re-connect; it would disconnect and be unable to re-connect.  So I would not discount the possibility that it is something very local to you that is the root cause of your problems.   
DJ1UK
Grafter

I had a similar issue .. that was ongoing for a few months.
Finally found out that it was my cordless phones that were causing the issue.  Bought a new set of phones and problem resolved.
so if anything else is plugged into any of your phone sockets on the same line (phones, sky etc) check these too.
Good Luck!
millinx21

Latest Update from Support:
We have adjusted the settings on your line increasing the target noise margin to 12dB up from the previous target of 6dB. This is in an a attempt to help keep the line stable, and should complete in the following 24 hours.

I've had a good commection all day so far, which is good news, just hope it stays that way from now, but with the past record... we shall see!
jwh
I had a similar issue .. that was ongoing for a few months.
Finally found out that it was my cordless phones that were causing the issue.  Bought a new set of phones and problem resolved.
so if anything else is plugged into any of your phone sockets on the same line (phones, sky etc) check these too.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have my sky box plugged in, and don't actually have a phone in the socket, I just use my mobile Smiley
All tips are welcome though Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

All tips are welcome though Cheesy

You need to download and run a program called Routerstats Lite http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/betatesters.htm .  This will monitor the noise on your line by polling your router every 15 seconds (so you really need your computer on all the time whilst using it).  If the noise on your line gets too high then it will cause your to router to disconnect so the change Plusnet have made was to give you more "headroom".  Tunning this program showed me that when I turned on a computer upstairs then the noise on the line got worse (which I was able to fix by replacing the power supply with a new one).  But basically it will give you much more insight into what is going on from minute to minute and hour to hour.  Look at the noise margin graph and see how well it sticks to the 12dB target that Plusnet have set.
I have also seen houses where the telephone extension wiring acts like a radio aerial and interferes with the broadband even if no telephones are connected.  So if possible, remove the faceplate from your master phone socket and connect the router directly (via a filter) to the test socket underneath the faceplate to eliminate this possibility.   
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi
I have had these issues on a couple of separate occasions.  First time around 3 years ago, that took several engineers, and was finally cured as an exchange problem. (Also tried 5 routers.....)
I currently have an intermittant issue, that started when we started getting alot of rain up north....  Had 2 engineers round, who both couldnt find a specific fault, even though I do have noise on the line, its always gone away when I try to ring the csc or BT call. Its finally stabalised after buying a brand new filter, although line still a little noisy, but DSL sync now stable.  I did however ask for the upstream to be capped at 448, as its the upstream noise margin that seems to vary according to routerstats.
One thing I can say is stick with PlusNet.  They will get it fixed.  May take a while, but it does happen......
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I can see that the issue is still ongoing, I have spoken with our faults team who updated your ticket last night. They will be in-touch with you today to push this along as fast as we can.
If you need me to follow anything up with this please let me know.
Chris
Ronski
Rising Star

I live in Ramsgate, Kent.

I live in Broadstairs    Smiley
My 'situation' has been ongoing for over 45+ days now.

If it's not resolved soon then I would suggest contacting the CEO of BT Group, I had to do this for my brothers broadband which took two months to get sorted, part of the problem is you go round in circles with support on here due to the fact that different people deal with your tickets and don't bother to read whats happened before. Then the major problem is that PN have to deal with Openreach, which are a law unto themselves. Raising a CEO level complaint then means PN can go much higher within Openreach and things then happen as they should - quickly, my brothers fault was fixed within 5 days.
I have also found out that my local cabinet will be FTTC enabled by the end of this month, so Im thinking of just taking fibre optic with another company, and mentioned that also on my message!

Don't rely on this fixing the issue, if the fault is between your house and the cabinet the issue will remain. There arn't many cabinets left in Ramsgate to be enabled - take a look at my map, link in my signature. Also a thread on Think Broadband forums
PS. That September date for FTTC may well slip to December, they go in 3 month steps, if it's not ready when estimated, it will just roll onto the next 3 month place holder date.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Ronski
... I would suggest contacting the CEO of BT Group ....

A bit easier said than done.  Or have you sent millinx21 a message with the contact details?
Ronski
Rising Star

If he asks I'll send it to him,  rather not post it although I have seen it on the Think Broadband forums quite often.
millinx21

Quick update:
I have had a good connection since 6pm on the 13th of Sept now!!
This is the longest it has held for some time, so I am quietly optomistic that my issue has ben resolved Smiley
Hey Ronski, I had been following you on the Think Broadband forums, about the updates on cabinets in the area, until the topic was closed, so am aware of you, otherwise Id of had no idea where to check on which cabinets were updated and when! lol. Big thanks for the amount of time and effort you went into btw!
Anyway, as for me, I am giving the issue a week, if all looks ok by wednesday 19th, I am happy to close ticket, and resume contact with complaints over compensation, now/when the issue is resolved.
Good luck to any others out there who face similar problems. If you have a similar issue to mine, and seem to be going round in circles with support, perhaps suggest what support finally did for me, see if that helps matters any. No guarantee, but no harm in asking!
We have adjusted the settings on your line increasing the target noise margin to 12dB up from the previous target of 6dB. This is in an a attempt to help keep the line stable, and should complete in the following 24 hours.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I probably should not say this but what Plusnet have done is to mask your problem, which must be intermittent high noise levels on your line, by giving you more headroom.  That would normally happen automatically so it's strange it required Plusnet to intervene in your case.  The downside is that your peak broadband speed will have suffered; although speed is no good when you haven't got stability.  On many lines the noise level gets worse at night and there is nothing you can do about it; you may suffer from this particularly severely.  There is a program you can run on your computer to monitor the noise on your line minute by minute but you may not want to delve that deeply into the specifics of what is going on.  If you do I (or others) can give details.   
egym64

Angry I am also having the same problems. I have been told its my router although I have only had it for 6 months. Feel very cheesed off with the technical advisers attitude and after reading these forum comments I know its going to be an ongoing issue. At the moment I have disconnected my broadband and I am using my dongle until the problem has been sorted. I definitely will not be paying my bill until it is!