cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent DNS lockup, any ideas ?

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Intermittent DNS lockup, any ideas ?

@MJN - Only the big resolvers like OpenDNS, have instituted resolving to the last known good address even if the domains base/native DNS are not working.  This actually allows a lot of the internet that others cannot access to be accessible to OpenDNS users, to me it seems there is no longer a way to answer the question "which DNS is best?" only "Which DNS do I prefer?"
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I'd be inclined to agree. For me, my preference is for my own and that of the authoritative servers.  Wink If I had kids however I can see the benefits in some of the protective measures offered by the likes of OpenDNS etc.
Mathew
loungehake
Dabbler

It should not be forgotten that OpenDNS was already secure when the scare about DNS security was at its height a couple of years ago.  It is what OpenDNS does.  That is their core business.  They eat, drink and sleep DNS.  No DNS poisoning for me and it's free.
I have seen performance data that shows that UK users are very fortunate to have an OpenDNS facility in London.
mwwilson

Quote from: mwwilson

Now trying the manual setup there as suggested, will give it a week to be significant, I'd usually get a lockup 3 or 4 times a week.

Well a week or so and no problems so I'd calll that a fix thanks folks.
The remaining test to do is a second PC still going via router DNS and see if that will lock while the one going directly out is still OK
Out of interest, any ideas as to the cause, is it old routers falling over as the world moves on?
Bill