cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittant Connection

Tyreal74
Grafter

Intermittant Connection

for the past couple of days my internet connection has been very unstable, whenever i try to download a file by bit torrent or http even small files the connection just drops out, i cant even play xbox live on it.
has anyone else had similar issues?
im not on an LLU exhancge as i opted out of it, im 15 metres from the exchange and on premier option 1
i dont normally have a problem with the connection, for example tuesday i downloaded 4.15gb of anime via http offpeak, for the following days i havent even been able to get above 200meg of xfer (with the exception of xbox live last night a demo ~800meg - stop start)
12 REPLIES 12
matrix

Re: Intermittant Connection

Hi there. Ever since we got broadband we are lucky to get one night a week when our connection is stable. The rest of the time you log on, and 5 seconds later the connection drops, it is impossibe to even get from one page to another without it dropping. I am glad I didnt cancel my dial up = it may be slow but at least you get on the internet. Plusnet have checked the line and say its ok, the next step is to get BT in = has anyone had BT in? I am loathed to do this at £150 a time? For info I only have the microfilter plugged directly into the main bt socket with nothing else - pt even the phone. I even turn off the tv in case it is leaking RF!!! Help.....
sloany
Grafter

have a look at this link
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=467.0
may shed some light on your probs
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Tyreal74
for the past couple of days my internet connection has been very unstable, whenever i try to download a file by bit torrent or http even small files the connection just drops out, i cant even play xbox live on it.

Hi,
Looks like the connection is losing sync, the support guys tried to run some testing this afternoon and left you a message, if you can get back to us we'll be able to re-run the tests.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: matrix
Hi there. Ever since we got broadband we are lucky to get one night a week when our connection is stable. The rest of the time you log on, and 5 seconds later the connection drops, it is impossibe to even get from one page to another without it dropping. I am glad I didnt cancel my dial up = it may be slow but at least you get on the internet. Plusnet have checked the line and say its ok, the next step is to get BT in = has anyone had BT in? I am loathed to do this at £150 a time? For info I only have the microfilter plugged directly into the main bt socket with nothing else - pt even the phone. I even turn off the tv in case it is leaking RF!!! Help.....

Hi,
Looking at the connection logs for your connection it's showing that the connection is dropping every few minutes with the reason "user request". Normally that means that the router/modem disconnected the connection itself. I'd recommend checking the router for any idle timeout settings that could be causing the connection disconnect and if possible try a different router or modem to see if that makes any difference.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
matrix

The router I have is the BT Voyager 210 - I am not very good with computers so how do i check the idle time out settings?
Sorry if it is a silly question
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To check settings on the Voyager 210 router you need to access its configuration pages using its web interface at 192.168.1.1.  Sorry I don't know which screen they appear on.  The router username and password are both admin unless you've changed them.
To turn off any idle time out setting untick any check-box and/or set the value the zero (0).
David
matrix

sorry, cannot find anything on the configuration pages about idel tme out settings. I am now running off dial up and am seriously considering cancelling plusnet and putting up wiht slow connection speeds - at least I am guaranteed to get online!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your router connected to your PC using USB or Ethernet?  If it is USB is your dial-up modem also USB or an internal one?
I believe having two USB modems installed can be lead to problems, though don't have personal experience to back that statement up.
David
matrix

I have an Acer travelmate 2420 laptop and connect using the ethernet cable supplied by plusnet. I have one socket for dial up and next to it is the socket for the ethernet. At the minute I am on dial up plugged into the modem.  I did try the blue usb cable and still couldnt connect, after speaking to support services they said the cable couldnt cope with the info(?) and it would be best not to use it, hence i have used the ethernet since then. There is definitely something wrong somewhere as the connections fails every second literally.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It could be a faulty router, are you able to try/borrow another to see if that's the same?
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
matrix

I'm afraid I dont know anyone who is likely to have a router I can borrow. What is the chances plusnet would send me another?
Tyreal74
Grafter

ooh i can get to the forum!
ive been keeping an eye on the connection as much as possible,, i was having power outages on my router and ive now replaced it as of this morning
i still have the problems and i have never had auto disconnect on my router. it was the same router i was using for 18 months previously
ive informed plusnet support that the router is back online and powered up so im waiting on the tests to be run. hopefully itll be solved soon, i want my xbox gaming back ^^