cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving

mjfitz

Interleaving

Hi, I have had broadband with Plusnet since 2004 with virtually no connection problems.  Yesterday I turned my computer on to discover that I had lost my broadband connection so, after eight hours I telephoned the supoort line at about 5pm last night and after 45 minutes was told they would perform tests on my broadband service which would allow them to investigate the problem I've reported and these tests could take 48 to 72 hours.
Early hours this morning they have written to me saying they are going to turn on Interleaving as they think this will solve my problems.  As I'm simple, could anybody explain to me in simple terms what is "Interleaving" and why should I suddenly need it after seven years of virtual continous service?
Thanks to anybody for any reply.
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Interleaving

If the quality of your line deteriorates and excessive errors in the data you are receiving appear then interleaving can be applied to help reduce these errors.
An explanation of interleaving can be found here or here
Deterioration of line quality can occur slowly over a period of time and not be as noticeable as a sudden large drop in line speed or complete disconnection.
Could you post some stats from your router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mjfitz

Strat, thanks for the reply.  It is not easy to send stats.  This is actually my daughters broadband and she is 50 miles from me, she was using a D-link router that I gave her years ago but now she has a Thompson router supplied by Plusnet around last March / April, although it was only installed last night as an excise in ruling out faulty equipment.  I am not familiar with this router and therefore think it would be difficult to get the stats from her over the phone.
It just seems very strange to me that after all these years, the first time the system fails, Plusnet want to activate interleaving, especially as I have around 45 - 50 friends that I have refered over the years and NONE of them has ever had to have interleaving activated before.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Switching to Interleaving can be automatic - I was on "Fast" when I moved house but after a bit it switched over to interleaving because it detected too many problems.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Turning on interleaving is also step 1 of any fault investigation - it keeps BT happy. I wouldn't read too much into this, just let the fault investigation take its course.
David
mjfitz

Spraxyt, Okay thanks for the advice, I'll just wait and see.  Thanks all for your input.