cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving turned on - any reason?

grahamt
Rising Star

Interleaving turned on - any reason?

After having had a nice, solid connection with more than four days uptime and an SNR that never dipped below 6, BT's DLM (I presume) decided to resync my line this morning at around 10am (when my SNR was 12). I've no idea why. I've also no idea why interleaving was turned on during this resync - or indeed why it was turned off beforehand.
My downstream speed is banded, so I'm syncing at the same rate as before, 6653. Upstream has moved from 816 to 805 (after having been at 816 for several weeks). Maybe the upstream speed change is related to interleaving?
Could anyone hazard a guess at why the interleaving should be changed? I don't mind it - I'm just curious.
Graham
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Interleaving turned on - any reason?

I was looking at a presentation on the workings of the 21CN DLM not long ago and it seems like the first thing it does to stabilise a line is to apply interleaving, then it starts to up the taget noise margin only if that doesnt work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks. I'm not sure my line is any more stable now, though. After four days uptime on fastpath I'd got around 9500 near-end FEC errors. After just an hour on interleaved I'm already up to 23000. Could be ominous...
Maybe I should specify interleaving to be turned off when the new DLM trial starts.
Graham
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

FEC errors shouldnt be a problem since they are 'corrected' errors, its the HEC ( and maybe CRC ) errors that the DLM is interested in I think.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.