Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving Required?

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Interleaving Required?

Hi,

Despite having good line speeds (18Kbps, 1.2Kbps) we struggle to be able to use Skype even on a hardwired connection  (RJ45) connection to avoid the vagaries of wireless.,
So lots of breakup, the voice is even quite broken and hangs. So trying to troubleshoot I thought I'd check the interleave as far as my Draytek router is concerned and t comes back with 1 level. I think that means there is no interleaving in place and path mode is shown as FAST on both US and DS.
SNR margin is 3dB (far end is 6dB), and line attenuation 26d, Far end 14dB.
Update: Decided to bit the bullet - Have now requested Interleaving on as I can always get it removed if it doesn't help!!!

Graham.
61 REPLIES 61
grahamn
Rising Star

Re: Interleaving Required?

Hi,
Well following on from my last post, I spoke to PlusNet yesterday and again this morning. Interleave has supposedly been placed on the line but oddly my router show shows fastpath and Interleave level 1 (so no interleave as far as my router is concerned).
I restarted router to see if that made a any difference - it doesn't everything is still the same. Same speeds, SNR, Interleave (1 / fastpath)...no change at all.

Hoping someone knows how best to go from here as PlusNet are convinced interleaving is active on the line????
Many thanks,
Graham.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You obviously have a good quality line based on the info you've posted. I'd be very surprised if Interleaving would make any difference. Can you get detailed DSL stats from the Draytek that include the Errors as well as Sync speeds, SNRM & Attenuation?
Depending on the package you are on, you might be able to turn Interleaving on & off at the member centre. If it's available to you, you'll probably see it on Connection Settings (login reuired).
But in any event Interleaving orders usually only happen on working days and they get implemented in the early hours and you'll see a drop in connection. So if Plusnet have placed the order, this might happen 2-3am Monday morning or maybe Tuesday morning.
Unless your line is erroring badly which I doubt if DLM hasn't turned on Interleaving automatically, this could be related to QoS settings on the Draytek, or maybe the computer you are using has something running that is CPU intensive. I can get this sort of problem myself, but that's usually on an older less powerful computer and something else starts peaking 100% CPU.
What version of Skype is it?
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi and thanks for your reply - you helped me back in the summer when a port got stuck Smiley
The stats I've got so far are here...only a few hrs uptime as I rebooted the router at Plusnets' suggestion to pick up the interleaving - but it made no difference and as you said, I wondered if it would be a Mon-Fri job.
As you say the speeds are good, which is why I was thinking I could lose some throughput if I was getting interference or the like causing the call to suffer to the point where the video and sometimes just the voice breaks up.
Package-wise - we're on the unlimited on copper (non FTTC - as it's not available off our exchange) - nothing in the member centre panel about interleaving - maybe as the job is already in the queue?
I'm running the 2850 on default settings as far as QoS is concerned so haven't changed that at all - will take a look and see if it's reserving any bandwidth by default. UPDATE: QoS Inactive.
Skype (a recent download for the laptop on Windows 7)  and is version V7.12) and occasionally streamed media (iplayer etc) is a problem with "lockups" poor quality. We know the far end caller is ok because we had it working when we were out in Canada (ipad being used) just a few weeks ago.
The problem occurs both on either an ipad air (wireless) or on this Core i7 laptop on an RJ45 hardwired into the 2850 Draytek. I'm sure this laptop is set to High Performance and is used on mains power but will double-check.

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            : ADSL2+(G.992.5)       State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          : 17944960 bps   US Actual Rate       :  1240000 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      : 18020000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :  1240000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :       26 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        3  dB
  DS actual PSD           :    20. 0 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 2   dB
  ADSL Firmware Version   : 2471201_A
 -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :       14 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >
>
> show status
System Uptime:3:34:20
LAN Status
Primary DNS:212.159.6.9       Secondary DNS:212.159.6.10
IP Address:xxxxxxxxxx        Tx Rate:241321    Rx Rate:195115
WAN 1 Status: Connected
Enable:Yes       Line:xDSL        Name:
Mode:PPPoA       Up Time:3:33:05     IP:xxxx    IP:xxx
TX Packets:171462     TX Rate:108 RX Packets:236105     RX Rate:72

Mode:---         Up Time:0:00:00     IP:---            GW IP:---
TX Packets:0          TX Rate:0   RX Packets:0          RX Rate:0
ADSL Information:      ADSL Firmware Version:2471201_A
Mode:ADSL2+(G.992.5)   State:SHOWTIME   TX Block:414761 RX Block:5881396
Corrected Blocks:0     Uncorrected Blocks:1152
UP Speed:1240000    Down Speed:17944960   SNR Margin:3   Loop Att.:26
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Graham.
I just had a re-read of your previous problem to refresh my memory.
What sort of CRC count are you getting atm, and compared to back in the summer?
We'll have to see what happens with the Interleaving, but I'm highly suspicious about your port in light of the history. If it's not that, it could be a traffic management/profile problem. One of the CRT guys could perhaps have a look tomorrow.
I don't think we ever discovered which packages have the Interleaving setting in Connection Settings.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi,
Rx CRC is now 2,316 after 7:36 uptime, with light usage.
Interesting thought that traffic management could be playing a part in this - hopefully someone from CRT will look at this on Monday as you say.
There is a closed ticket - something about moving to 21CN - which I'm sure I'm already on, so I'm guessing that in some way relates to the interleave request ?!?
Graham
Anotherone
Champion

It is indeed the Interleaving request. Can't understand why they've never got round to changing that message, it's been like that since the year dot, and the number of times people are confused!
Error rate seems to be in the same ball park as previously - it is variable. Usage won't really affect it.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi AO,
Still on fastpath, no sign of interleaving.
Hopefully PlusNet CSR will eventually see this and chime in with what's happening especially in light of the port problem in June.

I also lost the adsl connection 20hrs ago it seems (not had that happen in a while) and CRC Rx are going up by the second 7619 so far. SNR is 3 and Loop att stil 26.
Cheers,
Graham.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Speed:  UP: 1240 Down: 17944  
Indicative Line Quality:  A
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  72  
SNR Margin: 3.0
WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 3dB Downstream, 448 Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Looking at the line I'd suggest upping the target SNR to 6db to try and mitigate some of the errors and possibly stepping the interleaving up.
Obviously we should also get that upload uncapped, I'll go place the order now. No I won't, the interleaving order for tomorrow hasn't yet completed. Once this is turned on we can see what's happening with the line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There seems to be a discrepancy between the actual upload speed, 1240k, and the "448 Medium delay" in the order / later details. Unless the interleaving order is also going to cap the upstream.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's a good spot. I've checked the orders for the line and it's not actually showing as uncapped 😕
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks Chris.
Interesting point ejs - Must say, this is reminiscent of my problems back in June with odd upstream speeds which AO also commented on. Pretty sure Chris tried capping/uncapping as part of that problem....not sure if that's related to what we're now seeing?
UPDATE: Line seems to have been reset..now seeing just like it was in June when it had started misbehaving.

Account:admin
Password: ********
User login successful, expired time is "Unlimited".

Type ? for command help
> show adsl
 --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            : ADSL2+(G.992.5)       State                : SHOWTI
ME
  DS Actual Rate          : 16313142 bps   US Actual Rate       :   440000 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      : 17560000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :   888000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave
  DS Interleave Depth     :       96       US Interleave Depth  :        8
  NE Current Attenuation  :       26 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        6  dB
  DS actual PSD           :    20. 1 dB    US actual PSD        :    11. 6   dB
  ADSL Firmware Version   : 2471201_A
 -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :       14 dB    Far SNR Margin       :       28  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >
>
Anotherone
Champion

As I believe I've mentioned elsewhere, and taking account of the problems in the summer and the port not responding to some Plusnet orders, it suggests the possibility of a faulty port. Otherwise there's a fault on Plusnet's side - profiling?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well, intentionally or not, it now has interleaving on and a capped upstream. That could be simply due to the capped upstream being set as part of the same order to enable interleaving.
grahamn
Rising Star

Hopefully Chris will pick this up tomorrow, but I'm inclined to agree that something is amiss on the plusnet side with port/card or config/profile
problems  and has been since June. Until the June problem occurred,  everything had been fine.