cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving On or Off????

cjkendo

Interleaving On or Off????

I am thinking of requesting that interleaving be turned off on my connection to see if it helps my Ping times for online gaming.  However, i am about 2 km (straight line from the exchange) so I am concerned it may have more of a detrimental effect.  I put a request in the support section and they came back saying it would be turned on again automatically if there were problems but that there may be a charge in the future.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I only want to see if it will improve the ping/latency with the servers so don't really want it to cost me money if it doesn't.
Kendo
4 REPLIES 4
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Interleaving On or Off????

Well I had mine switched off , they said it could be switched back on if there were any issues. No mention of any charges.
Its worked well for me , but I am only 750mtrs from the exchange as a the crow flies.
Definatly worth a try if you ask me.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to look at the detailed stats from your router to see how many errors the interleaving is correcting if it's not many it would be safe to have interleaving off. At your distance from the exchange you would probably end up with a higher target noise margin and hence a lower sync speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cjkendo

My router connection stats are not that detailed, or I can't find the page on the router.  I have a Belkin N Router (I think the model is F5D8233-4 N) which only really tells me the syc speed, the attenuation and noise margin nothing detailed about the errors.  I'm syncing at about 5800.
Jessica
Grafter

I’m closer to my exchange than you are (about 250m) and with interleaving OFF I was getting constant disconnections.  My sync was changing every ten minutes and my IP profile hit an all time low of 4000.
Since interleaving was switched back ON, I’m now stable at 7616 with a Profile of 6000 (should get back to 6500 soon).
From what I gather, it’s more to do with the line condition, not the distance you live from the exchange.  Which is really odd in my case.  Most of my neighbours are at 8128 with interleaving OFF and have IP profiles of 7150.  The only difference between my neighbours and myself, is that I’m the only one with Plusnet.