cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving - Help?!?

rickygreen

Interleaving - Help?!?

Hi,
I apologise for my lack of technical knowledge but I just received the following email from Plusnet and have no idea what it means.

We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving off at your request.
The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off. If you have problems and want to turn interleaving back on, you will need to use the Broadband Fault Checker at our website - http://faults.plus.net/
Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn off, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.

My questions are firstly, what is it? and secondly why are they/you switching it off when I have not requested it?
Any help?
Cheers
Ricky
4 REPLIES 4
lowlatency
Grafter

Re: Interleaving - Help?!?

I can answer your first question: Interleaving is where it makes your connection more stable with higher download speeds but with an increases ping time (response time).
The other profile other than interleaving is 'Fastpath' which you are being put onto is mainly requested for online gamers, which reduces the response tine for time critical games, but by putting you on fast path you will see a lower download speed on your line depending on the amount of errors it throws up at you.
If you dont do any online gaming then I would suggest you turn it back on, as the only other benefit is your web pages will load a little quicker by about 20 milliseconds Grin
I hope that explains it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ignore it - it is a side effect of moving to the new products and is a totally spurious email
lowlatency
Grafter

Cry I will never get them 3 minutes back that it took for me to write that explanation
rickygreen

Thanks for the answers guys, I do use Xbox live so I guess it's a good thing.
Recently changed over to unlimited internet so I guess it was part of that process too.
Once again, thanks for replying.