Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleave query

PAPED
Dabbler

Interleave query

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone could give some advise.... I have a WRT54GL router using 3rd party RAF Tomato firmware and an (old) Linksys ADSL2MUE modem using a 3rd party enhance variant of the original Linksys firmware (4.22-EU), these have been set-up so the modem is just a bridge and the router then does all the connection stuff (via PPPoE - as the connection between the 2 devices is ethernet) this has worked well for 5+ years on my old ISP and Plusnet without issues and has been using the "fastpath" connection mode. However it does have one side effect that when the WAN is down I cannot see the modem via the router, to fix this I tried changing the set-up so the modem logged in and the router then just had an ethernet DHCP connection but as soon as I did this the modem report that connection mode as "interleave" which adds error checking, latency etc for "noisy" lines and it has probably dropped around 200Kpbs off my connection speed. I have put it back to the original set-up and interleave is still showing.
This is not a problem for what I do as I don't do gaming so ping times are not that important hence this post is just to try and work out in my own mind what is going on, as physically the hardware has not changed so I don't understand what the ADSL network would have seen for it to assume a noisy/poor line and invoke "interleave"? As with how I reconfigured the router/modem it should have been only 1 ADSL connection drop/reconnect process in theory, however I did do a typo so the PPP connection so this may have tried a few times before I corrected it but this is the PPP login to Plusnet not the physical DSL connection which would need to be in place first.
Also assuming that the ADSL network saw noise or something on the line (maybe my connection drop/try to reconnect while I did the config) if the line is left stable for a few days would this be something that would be automatically removed by the ADSL network and "fastpath" put back in place?
Note: I have always had a "fastpath" connection with my old ISP and Plusnet at 2 different addresses (Plusnet has been running from day one for around 6 months in this mode) I have not previously had disconnections (that I have noticed) or large amounts of CRC errors.
As above this is just a query/advise as my Internet is up and working OK.... Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Interleave query

Would you like me to disable interleaving on your line?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PAPED
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
Would you like me to disable interleaving on your line?

If you can turn it off then yes please......
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Order placed to remove interleaving. It should complete at some point tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PAPED
Dabbler

Thank you very much  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like the order completed at around 6am this morning, I hope you've noticed an improvement?