Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting and puzzling problem

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Interesting and puzzling problem

I have been monitoring my internet connection for some time, using Routerstats, as the line has been a bit dodgy.
This evening I noticed that the error rate jumped up significantly during a phone call. I therefore decided to try double filtering by adding a rat tail filter to the phone output of my ADSLNation filtered faceplate. To my surprise while doing it Routerstats picked up a very large error spike and the router resynched with a lower upstream speed 384kbps at 7dB - fortunately the downstream speed didn't change.
This is a picture showing the effects - does anyone have any idea as to the cause
7 REPLIES 7
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Interesting and puzzling problem

Have you got a Krone tool Jim? I had a similar problem a while back, and after checking everything else to no avail, began to suspect the master socket might have a dodgy connection somewhere.
I cleaned the gold plated contacts on the faceplate and socket with isopropyl alcohol (meths would do too) and a cotton bud, and remade all the connections, including the incoming A & B wires (they'll never know  ;)).
No problems since.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There aren't any wires connected to the master socket except the incoming ones from BT as I disconnected the only extension because it was connected using bell wire.
I could check the A & B connections because, as you say, they would never know.
I don't have any isopropyl alcohol (not sure about meths) but I could use double distilled plum brandy (it is so strong it refluxes on the side of the glass) or CPU heat sink cleaner
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

The latter sounds better, Jim - sure, the brandy's got plenty of alcohol, but a fair proportion of sticky stuff too I'd think.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Seems a waste of good Plum Brandy!
A drop of Nail Varnish remover on a cotton Bud or even a drop of Vodka will do if you don't have any Meths.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Removed the faceplate and checked the connections which looked OK but disconnected and cleaned them (I had a little bit of meths left - obviously I wasn't too thirsty last time  ;D) and refitted them.
The other thing was I made sure that the insulation wasn't trapped under the plate (it might have been before) to ensure a better connection.
Reconnected with this result - the speed won't hold overnight but it shows what the connection is capable of.
Quiet line test seemed a little better and the upstream sync/noise margin is where it should be.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

An update.
What I didn't mention was that in reconnecting the wires I touched them together.
This of course bounced a current down the line which must have cleared a bad joint.
It went bad again a couple of days later upstream 384kbps at 7dB until there was a call this morning which wasn't picked up very quickly so it rang for a while and the line resynced with 448kbps upstream noise margin 19dB.
But the thing I really don't understand is why it only affects the upstream frequencies
pierre_pierre
Grafter

me definitely no expert, but dont forget that the upstream are a lot lower frequency that the down