cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation went ok.

Trevstan
Grafter

Installation went ok.

Hi all, was booked in for today between 1-6pm got a call at 1:10pm to say he would be around 20/30 mins and my phone line will go dead.
Whilst he done that  I moved the furniture and removed the old ADSL RJ11 cable extension and Phone extension so he would be able to fit the data extension kit.
Came in and I offered him Tea/Coffee said he'd already had his his dinner and he cracked on putting the front plate on the master socket I mentioned to him that I asked Plusnet for the data extension kit and he said I was down for a basic install and no extensions etc were on his order... Bit miffed I said I had no mains next to the master sockets and I would have to grab an extension for him to be able to test the routers out.
Whilst I grabbed an extension he mentioned that I may be able to use my old extension that i used for my previous router (RJ11) and said he could test it out and see if it works (This extension cost me £3 of the bay so I didn't hold much hope) anyhow to my surprise it worked and he said it would be fine to use it and have my old setup (If I had only left the bloody cables where they were till he got here!).
Done the tests on my line showed me 70 download and 20 upload on his iPhone through some BT engineer software and showed me BBC Iplayer running well on his phone (buffering etc...) then he was off.
He seemed very rushed to say the least but a nice bloke and understandable that they are snowed under with work.
Now for my questions.... Why wasn't the data extension cable on his order sheet? Is the RJ11 fine to use or will it affect my speeds? Or should i get another RJ11 that as able to handle fibre?
Here is a speed test I took after I moved the router to my sitting room-:
Here is a current speed test that I just took after moving cables about etc and getting them set for re-tacking to the skirting -:
And my last one before i post this post -:
As you can see it has gotten worse over the last few hours could that be down to peak time hitting in and the current issues about gateways?
So it all seems fine barring a few hiccups with my download I was estimated 66.9 and syncing at 70 so doubtful I could squeeze any more down my line but my upload seems a little low at 13 considering it's syncing at 20 or this normal at the start?
Apart from that I am happy just need to iron out these few little problems.
23 REPLIES 23
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Installation went ok.

Have a look at your BT IP Profile, run the test then click Further Diagnostics - Do NOT reboot router or modem as suggested - report your findings here
Trevstan
Grafter

I did the test once i first got it in it was 68. random number, this was took about 5 mins ago.
Can the top speed fluctuate abit on the profile? As my previous speedtest was higher than that  :-\.
Also just to add i did unplug the router to move it to the sitting room the OR Engineer said it would be fine not rebooted it since have hopped gateways however.
shalom2010
Grafter

What you have posted it rather hard to read - but I think it says your BT IP Profile is 67.54 Mbps. So it does look like by moving the router (are you sure it was not the Open Reach modem?) the synch speed has dropped. Anyway
leave everything connected now you should know tomorrow how things work out. (Do another BT test tomorrow)
Trevstan
Grafter

Thanks yeah that's what it says.
Can the synch rise once it settles? Also is still ok to hop gateways?
Cheers
Edit-: a little faster  Cheesy (like a kid with a new toy haha) ill do another BT IP Profile test in the morning.... Is it ok just use the normal 20m  RJ11 in-between the master socket and BT modem? Or should I look to upgrade the wiring?
Also upload just doesn't wanna go faster than 13 Sad
shalom2010
Grafter

Looks like your speed is fine again. Maybe the profile has increased. Anyway I'll leave this thread to the PN staff to look at. Hope I've helped a little?!
Trevstan
Grafter

From the Plusnet member page.
Estimated line speed:
66Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-03-09 20:30:40
Current line speed:
78 Mb
That mean I am syncing at that speed ^? And the fault lies between my house wiring? As i just live over 100 metres from the cabinet and most that live that close sync very high.
BT Profile from just now -:
Speedtest-:
Bright
Grafter

@Trevstan
You're sync-ing at 69.78Mbps, your BT IP profile is 67.54Mbps and your Speedtest.net results look good for that sync rate.
On the upload side the IP profile always shows as 20Mbps, irrespective of what speed the line can actually achieve. Yours seems to hover around 12Mbps of actual throughput, which is probably about right given the downstream sync rate.
On the Plusnet side, your profile is currently set to 78Mbps - that's the value it starts at for new connections. It will update itself from the BT IP profile soon, and should then stay the same as or just below the BT profile value.
It seems your downstream sync rate has varied a little bit since installation (since you've got some speedtest.net figures above the BT IP profile values on the 2 screenshots), but seems steady now. I'd keep an eye on the BT IP profile value over the next few days by running the BTW speed tester. That's what will tell you what your actual sync rate is doing (the profile is always 0.9679 of the sync rate).
As for your long RJ11 cable, I'd suggest leaving everything for a couple of days, see what the line settles down at, then try plugging everything directly into the master socket with a short cable (ideally the test socket behind the faceplate) and see if you get a better sync rate. That will tell you if your RJ11 cable is causing a lower sync rate. BUT, when you do that, first log into the router's admin interface and press the button to disconnect the PPPoE session. Then power off the router, then power off the modem. I'd then recommend leaving the modem off for a while (so the DLM doesn't think it's a line problem). Once you've got it all connected up, switch on the modem, wait for the green DSL light to come on, then reconnect the router's PPPoE session. Ideally you should do this during the middle of the day, as there will be the lowest noise level on the line at that time (line noise increases after dusk due to interference from AM radio transmissions). And if you're then moving everything back again, leave the modem off for a while again - try not to keep switching it off and on.
Although you're only 100m from the cab, are you sure the actual cable run is only 100m? Is there any possibility it takes the scenic route?
Trevstan
Grafter

Thanks Bright alot of that made sense.
How long should I leave it before testing a shorter RJ11 cable?
I could setup the BT Router in the kitchen then use a 20m RJ45 between the modem/router to get it to the desired location as I have read and also asked (thinkbroadband forums) about the RJ11 and they said it could affect speeds.
If it did this would the speed/synch  increase straight away or gradually and would the IP Profile recover (If they is any extra speed to recover).
Quote from: Bright
Although you're only 100m from the cab, are you sure the actual cable run is only 100m? Is there any possibility it takes the scenic route?

That I am not 100% sure I would guess at a push it would be an extra 50m if it ran around the street.
I am not being fussy and the speeds I am currently getting are great but if there is anything extra I can do at my end to help my line then I wouldn't mind doing it if I see better results.
Bright
Grafter

Yes, I understand your desire to get the best possible performance. I'm also about 100m from my cab and I (currently!) have a sync rate of 80Mbps. But we don't know anything about the quality of your particular line, so it's hard to know why you're not getting a slightly faster sync.
The DLM on FTTC shouldn't do anything for the first 24 hours unless your line is very unstable. After that, it will start to intervene if it thinks the line stability can be improved. I think you were only activated yesterday afternoon? If so, I'd leave it another day just to see if anything changes. If not, then try out the re-configuration. If the BT profile is still changing, then wait for it to settle, but in practice I think it should settle pretty quickly.
I saw your post on TBB - there seemed to be differing views about this! I think it really depends on the quality of the RJ11 cable. But as others have said there, you should see immediately if you can get a faster sync with a short RJ11 cable. Once you know, then you can work out the best place for the modem.
Trevstan
Grafter

Thanks again Bright all useful information, I'll order a RJ45 tonight it will most likely not come for a few days so in the mean time I'll leave everything as is and see how the DLM does it's business as i don't want it to drop only go up  ;D.
The RJ11 was a real cheap one (few quid) so I don't hold much hope for it tbh, was really surprised the engineer said it would be fine to use.
Trevstan
Grafter

Hi all just a little update, i have had no drop outs or weird speedtests and Ip Profile sticking to what it has said -:

Connection Information
Uptime: 1 day, 21:21:42
Everything thing is running great.
Ordered the CAT5e yesterday I'll try some rewiring tomorrow (if the cable arrives), after reading about on the internet I have read that it can affect your speed greatly using a unpaired flat RJ11 so hopefully I can squeeze more juice down the line :)! (I'll have to do a good job with the cabling or I'll have my head in my hands from the GF  ;D)
One question I know you can't see the sync rate on your modem (without hacking it which i don't fancy) and apart from the BT IP profile I guess there is no other way to check it?
I'll report back once I have tried it.
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: Trevstan
One question I know you can't see the sync rate on your modem (without hacking it which i don't fancy) and apart from the BT IP profile I guess there is no other way to check it?

Not that I know. But the BT IP profile allows you to calculate the downstream sync rate, but not upstream. Otherwise you need an unlocked HG612.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hacking the modem is fairly easy, its like taking a walk in the park  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Trevstan
Grafter

Well i got itchy fingers and just had to know if the wiring was slowing me down  ;D, so took all your advice re guarding the router modem power down left it off for 20 mins then tryed to test it on my GFs mini laptop it was just not quick enough for fibre speedtest.
So had to move my pc/monitor in to the kitchen (where i am currently typing this lol) and quite suprising here are my results.
- Best of about 7 tests.
- Lowest of about 7 tests.

Shocked
Just shows what a bad cable can do! And the engineer thought it would be fine! If he had put the extension in the first place i wouldn't have queried my speed.... Still i am happy that i have found the route of my problem.
Am I syncing at max? And also i have seen peoples upload speed in the 17.** and ping below 10 guess that's just the draw?
So my setup is going to be Master Socket/Modem/15m Cat5e/Router/25m Cat5e/PC hoping this will work all i am adding is a longer ethernet cable inbetween the Modem and Router.
Anywho now I have to move everything back upstairs and wait patiently with my slower fibre while I wait for my cable to be delivered  :'(!