cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation dates - March?!

Steevo
Grafter

Installation dates - March?!

I just tried to order a new phone and broadband package for a new flat i've moved into. Having previously been with Plusnet I thought it made sense to go back with them again so followed the order process through. Because there's no line there, I was to be charged £49.99 installation fee on an 18 month contract...and to top it off, the earliest I could book an engineer visit is the beginning of March...and even then all the weekends were booked up. Crazy!
Looked on the BT website despite their package being more expensive, and there was no installation charge, and no visit required. I could have working broadband from 27th January without any hassle.
Why is there such a long wait for installations?
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: Installation dates - March?!

The question should be,
Why is Openreach quoting differently to BT Retail and Plusnet?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The question I would ask is why BT think that there is an existing line which just needs activating when you say that there is no phone line in the property
Steevo
Grafter

All very valid questions!
There is a phone socket in the property, PlusNet told me it needs a new phone number and thus I needed a visit. BT just call it a "self install"
chuckster
Grafter

I'm in the same position Steevo.  Moving at the end of Jan, called up two weeks ago to arrange the move and the earliest install date is the end of Feb.  I haven't done the check with BT to see if an earlier install date is available through them (would be highly unethical of BTO to be doing that of course), but what can realistically be done if that's going on, and what counts as proof?  I guess there'd need to be consistent examples of it happening to save an excuse of 'oh you were lucky and got a cancellation'.
You thinking of taking the BT offer or looking at other options (3G dongle, looking for some nice neighbours)?
C
Steevo
Grafter

Likewise. I'm toying between the BT service, and the 4g dongle. Vodafone are offering them at £15/month  for 4gb so it's a tough one.
chuckster
Grafter

Oooh, is that PAYG on Voda?  I've been looking at dongle options (am more than happy to stay with PN so just need an interim stop-gap) but haven't seen that offer.  Can you attach a link?  If it's on the main page I clearly need new glasses.   Shocked
Update: Ahh, just spotted it.  It's a 12 month contract. I'll only need a month I hope.. Main thing is the data allowance for me and mine.