cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Router Setup

kk27
Dabbler

Initial Router Setup

Hi folks Smiley  The BT Openreach engineer is due this Thursday to install my fibre optic modem Cheesy  I am a little confused in regard to the Plusnet router setup once the engineer has done his job.  The Plusnet instructions/guide are very easy to follow stating that once I connect the router to the modem, switch it on and attach the ethernet cable to my imac to go away and have a cup of tea for 15mins before trying to connect to the internet!
Received my router today together with a text from Customer Services stating that they will text me again when my broadband is ready and not to set up the router until then.  My question is do I follow the instructions on the setup guide or wait on tender hooks for a text?  Any assistance appreciated.
I am hoping everything goes smoothly and will post again on Thurs evening to report.
Thanks.
I am also a refugee from O2 after they sold out to Sky.  I was with O2 for 5 years and had excellent service from them.  Hoping I can say the same with Plusnet. Roll_eyes
8 REPLIES 8
bradw
Grafter

Re: Initial Router Setup

What I did was set it all up straight away without waiting, but the service wasn't activated yet so a quick call to Plusnet and they sorted it within minutes. I'd imagine it'd be the same for you.
kk27
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply and advice.  Shall see how it goes on Thurs.
Cheers
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: bradw
What I did was set it all up straight away without waiting, but the service wasn't activated yet so a quick call to Plusnet and they sorted it within minutes. I'd imagine it'd be the same for you.

That would only happen if you already had fibre with another ISP or had ADSL, in this case, you can switch on the router and prepare a ethernet connection to the modem and a connection to the iMac. You don't necessarily  have to wait 15mins.  So when engineer comes to do work, just ask him to connect the modem to router using the prepared ethernet cable and make sure you have a solid green DSL light on modem (This is the connection to exchange)
Hope this helps
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
kk27
Dabbler

Thanks for your comments Jamie. Feel a bit more confident now.
Keith
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I hope this all goes to plan tomorrow for you. Please shout up if there's any issues at all.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kk27
Dabbler

Thanks Adam.  At least the forums seem very helpful Smiley
Keith
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Sometimes better than CS  Wink
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can see that you called in an we helped you get connected kk27, glad to see you're online. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team